[atrt2] on the sub-teams for the Action Items

Carlos Raúl Gutierrez carlosraulg at gmail.com
Tue Mar 19 22:57:02 UTC 2013

Dear ATRT 2 colleagues!

As per my request last friday (kindly supported by Allan G.) I took the time to compare our list of Action Items with the standards set by chapter 9.1 of the AoC. I would like to volunteer for the teams:
on  items 6 & 19 closely related to GAC issues (as per 9.1 b),
as well as items 7& 11, which in my personal view are in the interface between  9.1 a) & b) on the one side (the formal bodies of Board and GAC) and 9.1 c), d) & e) on the other (the bottom-up policy processes in general terms) .

By going through the exercise I came to other comments I would like to share with you, as feedback to the results of the late friday session:
I don´t feel good with the colors of the Item list as a way to rank them. Actually there is some repetition between the two/three colors. In any case I hope we do not proceed our work fixed on and separated by this list. I still need more discussion on the overall framework for our final report (probably through item 4 on LEGITIMACY)
Items 1,2,3 and 5 are all related to the interaction between the (so far) three review exercise under AoC. The could be addressed together. Somebody explained about the fourth review (as per 9.3 but don't remember the story)
There are many important issues related to BOARD and GAC (Action items 18, 13,16,6, 19, 7 and 11). As the formal bodies of ICANN there is a lot about corporate governance to chew around here.
Very interesting also is recommendation 6 of ATRT1: both Action items 7 and 11 are in my view closely related to this important differentiation between policy processes and executive functions (as well as the risks of hindering effectiveness and efficiencies by so many reviews and recommendations)
there is vey little on the list about  9.1, section c), d) and e): the part of those very same policy processes. There I´m not sure if the message from ATRT1 was that those policy processes have improved a lot over the last few years and we don't have to worry about them anymore..............The Staff presentations didn´t help me either on developing a GENERAL view of progress on ATRT1 recommendations on the policy processes. In any case the wording of Items 15 and 17 are pretty inconclusive, and I find no single item in the list directly relating to 9.1 c).
Finally I could not refrain from making a provocative summary question out of item 4: Will more accountability and transparency amount to a greater legitimacy of ICANN towards Governments and the large global community? I think we should have to find ways to develop this general discussion in a structured way over the next few weeks and months.

Finally I could not develop my analysis on the spreadsheet provided by Charla, so I´m providing my own conceptual map which can be easily revised if somebody wants to comment.

Having said that, I go back to my day to day job of regulation telecoms.....

Best regards

Carlos Raúl Gutierrez
crg at isoc-cr.org
Skype carlos.raulg