[atrt2] Question about the role of AOC Review Teams within ICANN

David Conrad drc at virtualized.org
Thu Apr 25 18:26:53 UTC 2013

Avri,

On Apr 24, 2013, at 7:58 PM, Avri Doria <avri at acm.org> wrote:
> Do I understand correctly that you and David beleive that the AOC review teams collectively are not an oversight mechanism but rather an advisory function?

In my view, AOC teams provide an (or perhaps more accurately 'the primary') advisory function within ICANN's oversight mechanism. Beyond the issue that Steve raises about oversight of AOC review teams and the issue Demi raises about conflicting recommendations from the different teams (and ignoring the legal question of fiduciary responsibility you raised), I believe the bottom-up multi-stakeholder governance model would suggest AOC review teams are a component of a broader oversight mechanism, one that incorporates oversight input from other stakeholders.

However, as mentioned in another note, I'm not well versed in the history/lore of AOC review teams so my views may well be mistaken.

Regards,
-drc