[atrt2] Draft Report - version 1 for review

Steve Crocker steve at shinkuro.com
Mon Oct 7 23:00:51 UTC 2013

Folks,

I have now read and scribbled comments on the draft that Larisa sent out.  I have not had time to pay attention to the subsequent messages, so I have likely missed a few key sections.  Also, I have not had time to read the appendix devoted to the implementation of the SSR-RT recommendations.  I will try to do so on the plane to Los Angeles tomorrow evening, but I wanted to make the deadline for comments this evening.

I am also including Karine Perset, Director of Board Support.  Once the Board receives the report, we will have a LOT of work to do to evaluate each recommendation, determine our response, and provide formal feedback.  To the extent we can organize and plan that work now, we'll be in better shape to complete our side of this when we receive the final report.

I am also conscious that I am in the unique position of having three bites at this apple.  I am responding now as a member of the team, I will be able to include my comments during the public comment period, and, of course, I will be part of the Board's formal response.  Accordingly, I am limiting my comments now to a handful of editorial or factual details that I think should be fixed before the report is released for public comment.

I am truly impressed by the enormous amount of work everyone has done, the positive spirit that everyone has brought to the process, and the quite excellent report that is emerging.

Thanks!

Steve

> page 4, Getting the Review Team started with a compile implementation report

Implementation of what?  The last ATRT set of recommendations?  The recommendations of all of the review teams?  I'm not objecting, just suggesting words be added for clarification.

> page 9, second para: The implementation discrete action taken by the NomCom…

I did not understand what this sentence was trying to say.

> page 10, recommendation 1c in the table, Improve NomCom outreach/PR

I assume "PR" means public relations, but I think this should be spelled out.

> page 12, needn't be so obsessed by secrecy and that this was positive

Somewhat unclear wording

> ibid, impetuous

Yes, this should be "impetus"

> ibid, bullet (a), guaranty

Should be "guarantee," I believe.

> page 15, paragraph 5.1, ATRT1 also found that compensation of directors was an issue closely associated with the theme pif developing the ICANN Board's experience and collective skill-set…

Has compensation had any direct bearing on the number or quality of candidates?  I am not aware of any data on this?  Equally, I am not aware of any data regarding the effect of compensation on the performance of Board members.  I think it's appropriate to note that compensation has been put in place, but I don't know what we should say, if anything, about whether it's achieving its intended purpose.

> ibid, 5.3 The Board delayed acceptance of Recommendation 5…

This suggests the Board had a choice.  Counsel said it was necessary to follow an extended course involving outside assessment.  We went down this path as expeditiously as possible.  I think the wording here creates the wrong impression, and I will push back vigorously if this assessment is in the public report.

> ibid, ATRT2 notes that payments were not offered until August 2012, a significant delay from the date of approval to implementation.

This is factually incorrect, which we have already documented.

> page 16, 6.1 Findings of ATRT1

This paragraph is vague.  What are the specifics?

> page 25, a new ICANN member was hired under a temporary contract…

My understanding is the use of a temporary contract was needed to bring the person on board and it was one part of the process to bring the person in permanently.  I would check on the actual sequence and status.  The wording here suggests a lack of whole-hearted management support, which does not match my understanding of what actually happened.

> ibid, ACIG staff member

What is ACIG?

> page 46, 14.7 Hypothesis of problem: While ICANN has a hotline that is meant to serve the whistle blowing activities, evidence does not indicate that this program has been used effectively.

What evidence?  Doesn't this paragraph put ATRT2 in the position of making an unsupported charge?