[atrt2] Preparation for Buenos Aires

Avri Doria avri at acm.org
Sat Oct 26 04:22:51 UTC 2013

On 26 Oct 2013, at 12:01, David Conrad wrote:

> However, with that said, as a future consideration, we might want to recommending to the next ATRT that they might consider having "office hours" or similar (maybe sharing space with the ombudsman?) at ICANN meetings, where individuals can come to raise issues/ask questions.

i thought of office hours and was almost going to recommend it for this time.
maybe we should consider it.

>> Also I think it may be a mistake to not have a public session at BA.  Might give the appearance that we are hiding.
>
> Given the participation at previous public sessions, I disagree -- I suspect the appearance would be more of wasting non-trivial resources.

Which resources?  Our time?   We are really there in BA predominantly to make sure we have been proactively receptive all that anyone might have to say.  ICANN room allocation?  Staff Time?  As far as I am concerned, in many ways, nothing happening at ICANN is more important than the ATRT as everything we do rest on a very narrow edge of our legitimacy - which i not as secure as people in ICANN may thing, especially these days.

>> One problem with only meeting with the SO/AC is that it misses the large part of population who are not part of of these organizations, including any newcomers there may be.
>
> And newcomers who don't participate in any SO/AC are going to feel comfortable commenting on ATRT recommendations?

And yet we are asked about the acceptance from outside the ICANN bubble.

And at IGF, a much larger and wilder bubble, we did tell people to read it and get back to us - with invitations to show up at an ICANN meeting if they could.

But of course, if I find myself alone in this impression (indeed I have no facts to base my feelings on - it is only after we receive the first complaint that I will have facts), this is not one of the things I am going to insist on.  I just think it is the right thing to do.

avri