[atrt2] Fwd: Recommendation N. 8 // Language Services

Olivier MJ Crepin-Leblond ocl at gih.com
Fri Dec 13 14:07:04 UTC 2013

Hello all,

please find my suggestion for Recommendation 8:

At the moment the recommendation says:

/8. To support public participation, ICANN should review capacity of the
language services department versus the Community need for the service,
and make relevant adjustments such as improving translation quality and
timeliness and implementing continuous improvement via benchmarking of
procedures used by international organizations. /

/(Re: encouraging multilingualism (ATRT1 18, 19, 22); Report Section 10)/

I suggest amending this to something even a little more demanding:

8. To support public participation, ICANN should review capacity of the
language services department versus the Community need for the service
using Key Performance Indicators (KPIs), and make adjustments such as
improving translation quality and timeliness. ICANN should implement
continuous improvement of translation and interpretation services via
benchmarking of procedures used by international organizations such as
the United Nations.

I have presented this to both Lise Fuhr and Fiona Asonga and they were
fine with this amendment.

Please be so kind to also find attached the document which Lise and
Fiona sent me with their suggestions for the detailed section about
Language Services. Please note the inclusion of the "frappé vs. shocked"
example.

Kind regards,

Olivier