[bc-gnso] FW: [gnso-vi-feb10] Updated VI Charter for review by SG/Constituencies

Steve DelBianco sdelbianco at netchoice.org
Thu Feb 25 15:29:07 UTC 2010

No worries, Berry.   We all appreciate your taking the lead on this.

Since we have a just a little bit of time left, I wanted to offer an idea
that I offered at ICANN¹s Washington DC meeting on vertical integration.   I
had used a Bonnie & Clyde analogy to suggest that we ought to be more
concerned with conduct than with structure.  (the police were going after
Bonnie & Clyde because they were robbing banks, and it didn¹t matter so much
whether they were married, living together, or vertically integrated)

The ICANN community can proscribe conduct and practices by adopting a new
consensus policy that fits with the Œpicket fence¹.   See
http://www.icann.org/en/general/consensus-policies.htm

 This applies to all existing and new registry contracts and registrar
accreditation agreements.   ( That¹s how we eliminated domain tasting via
the add grace period. )  Thing is, there¹s usually disagreement about what
practices fall within the picket fence (
http://www.icann.org/en/topics/new-gtlds/draft-consensus-spec-24oct08-en.pdf
)

 To that end, I suggest that the PDP also identify which of the restrictions
and practices it identifies are within the picket fence and therefore
subject to consensus policies ‹ no matter what kind of structural
integration/separation is permitted.

You could add a sentence to Objective 2 as follows:

> Objective 2: To review current and previous ICANN gTLD registry contracts and
> policies to identify the current and previous restrictions and practices
> concerning registry-registrar separation and equivalent access and
> non-discriminatory access in place.  [This review should include an assessment
> of whether each restriction and practice would be properly within scope of
> Consensus Policies that may be imposed upon existing registry contracts and
> registrar agreements. ]

30 lashes to me for not suggesting this earlier, but I had to try.
--Steve