[Bc-private] [bc-gnso] For expedited review by 17-Sep-2012: proposed expansion/clarification of BC's position on TM Claims Notices

icann at rodenbaugh.com icann at rodenbaugh.com
Fri Sep 14 19:06:36 UTC 2012

Thanks MJ, I had similar thoughts but hadn't got to draft them yet.

I believe the BC has previously proposed (at least in the STI if not also
elsewhere) that TM owners could self-select the brand/keyword combinations
that they wish to register in the TMC, so long as the keyword is present in
a national trademark registration somewhere.  This approach seemed to work
well with the dotAsia launch.  If there is some slight incremental cost to
registering each combination, that would provide some disincentive for TM
owners to overreach.  Perhaps the BC could coalesce around a proposal like
this again now?

Also, putting this back to the public BC list where it belongs.

Best,

Mike

Mike Rodenbaugh

RODENBAUGH LAW