[bc-gnso] Reconsideration of Singular-Plural contention sets

Steve DelBianco sdelbianco at netchoice.org
Thu Apr 11 01:47:31 UTC 2013

Update:

John and Zahid may raise the idea of GNSO Council asking for a formal Reconsideration of ICANN's decision on contention sets.

In addition the confusion/precedent/defensive concerns we've already disused, Ron Andruff raised another rationale for Reconsideration: a lack of transparency regarding the panelist and the process.

Best case, we get the GNSO Chair to raise this Reconsideration request at Public Forum this afternoon in Beijing.

And now this:

An applicant whose string was fond to be visually similar was Unicom, who was placed in a contention set with Unicorn.   On 9-April, China Unicom filed for formal Reconsideration (link<http://www.icann.org/en/news/correspondence/wang-to-crocker-et-al-09apr13-en.pdf>), suggesting that Visual Similarity alone was NOT a problem in this case.

Best case, China Unicom goes to the mic today in the Beijing Public forum about this.

Executive Director
NetChoice
http://www.NetChoice.org and http://blog.netchoice.org
+1.202.420.7482