[bc-gnso] Policy calendar for 8-Aug-2013 BC member call

Steve DelBianco sdelbianco at netchoice.org
Wed Aug 7 21:13:34 UTC 2013

There's a lot happening so I prepared a Policy Calendar for tomorrow's BC call.

Channel 1. BC participation in ICANN Public Comment process:

ICANN Public Comment page is <http://www.icann.org/en/news/public-comment> <http://www.icann.org/en/news/public-comment> here<https://www.icann.org/en/news/public-comment>.   Selected comment opportunities below:

1. Draft report of expert working group (EWG) on next generation directory services (new WHOIS)    (comments close 12-Aug).
Current working draft is attached.  I started with Stephane,  J Scott and Bill Smith's version fmor 5-Aug and added the two paragraphs by Marie Pattullo on 6-Aug.

Let's discuss on the call. Issues on the table include:
Are Bill and others okay with Marie's language to express concerns about SSR?

Are we comfortable with Stephane's gentle suggestion that this could apply to ccTLDs, too?

Should "Commercial entities" be prevented from using privacy/proxy services?

2. Renewal of .org registry agreement  (reply comments close 12-Aug)

3. Draft report on universal acceptance of IDN TLDs  (reply comments close 16-Aug)

4. Postponement of GNS review  (reply comments close 29-Aug)

5. .mobi and .pro request to remove cross-ownership restrictions (initial comments by 16-Aug)

6. Locking of domain name subject to UDRP proceeding (PDP), board recommendation (initial comments by 23-Aug)

7. Proposal to mitigate name collision risks from new gTLD delegations (initial comments by 27-Aug)

8. Rights Protection Mechanism (RPM) requirements     (initial comments by 27-Aug)

9. Charter amendment process for GNSO Structures  (initial comments by 28-Aug)

Note: BC members are encouraged to submit individual / company comments.  The BC selects topics on which to submit official positions based on member interest.

Geographic Indicator Debate
On 1-Aug a discussion thread was begun by J Scott Evans regarding the "Geographic Indicator Debate at Durban", including broader issue of GAC's role.

There is no firm deadline for this issue and ICANN has not posted GAC Advice for public comment.

We have offers to draft from J Scott Evans, Stephane, and Sarah Deutsch so far.

Would the volunteer drafters be willing to circulate a letter for member consideration?

---
Channel 2. Support for discussion and votes of our representatives on GNSO Council
John Berard and Zahid Jamil, BC Councilors

Report on Council telecon meeting held 1-Aug-2013. (agenda<http://gnso.icann.org/en/meetings/agenda-council-01aug13-en.htm>)

Next Council telecon meeting is 5-Sep-2013, 15:00 UTC

---
Channel 3. Supporting discussion/voting on matters before the Commercial Stakeholders Group (CSG)
Marilyn Cade, CSG Liaison

---
Channel 4. BC statements and responses during public meetings (outreach events, public forum, etc.)