[bc-gnso] FOR REVIEW: BC comment on Status Update from expert working group on gTLD Directory Services

Stephane Van Gelder Consulting svg at stephanevangelder.com
Tue Feb 18 10:34:55 UTC 2014

Thanks to Steve and the drafters for all this work.

I am speaking from memory on the EWG's report, as I have not had time ro
re-read it, so apologies if these have already been raised. However, I do
think there are some points the BC should consider:

Any contractual obligation placed on any part of the domain name supply
chain (be it registries, registrars or registrants) MUST
NOT contravene local law. This is especially true for data privacy issues,
which are a major point of focus in Europe for example. The recent debates
over the latest RAA (as a reminder, some European registrars are finding
themselves unable to sign the RAA, and therefore unable to sell new gTLDs
which pust them at a competitive disadvantage, because it goes against
their local privacy laws: http://blog.blacknight.com/blow-fuse.html) show
that any WHOIS work must also take these obligations into account. I am
worried that the EWG does not seem to have taken more than a passing glance
at ccTLD WHOIS obligations such as those placed on the French registry by
the French national data privacy agency (CNIL). Looking at this more
closely would highlight the need for opt-out clauses for those who'se
national laws would prevent them enacting any EWG recommendations as-is.

In short, I think our message here to ICANN should also be: learn from the
current RAA mistakes!

Another point I have made before is that I believe as representatives of
businesses worldwide, we should continually nudge for this work to
encompass ccTLD WHOIS as well. We have all heard before the many reasons
why the EWG should not be doing so, but as businesses, do we really think
it's OK to have such extensive work be done on gTLD WHOIS only? The level
of confusion this risks generating for businesses that are not domain
savvy, and may not understand that there are different rules for, say, .COM
and .DE, should not be underestimated.

Thanks,

Stéphane Van Gelder
Chairman and Managing Director/Fondateur
SVGC.net

T (FR): +33 (0)6 20 40 55 89
T (UK): +44 (0)7583 457053
Skype: SVANGELDER
www.StephaneVanGelder.com
www.svgc.net
Follow us on Twitter: @stephvg and "like" us on Facebook:
www.facebook.com/DomainConsultant
LinkedIn: fr.linkedin.com/in/domainconsultant/