[bylaws-coord] question re bylaws implementation

John Curran jcurran at arin.net
Thu Mar 24 11:30:43 UTC 2016

On 3/23/16, 6:33 PM, "Burr, Becky" <Becky.Burr at neustar.biz> wrote:
> In the draft Bylaws Final Proposal, we said ICANN ³facilitates the
> development of related global number registry policies by the affected
> community as agreed with the RIRs.²  ICANN wants to say that ICANN
> facilitates the development AND IMPLEMENTATION of those policies.  Is this
> ok??

Becky -

 No, this is not an acceptable addition - the original language proposed is
 specific to the development of the global number registry policies because
 that is what is covered by the ICANN/ASO MOU.

 ICANN does not have an inherent role (i.e. suitable for inclusion in its
 mission) with regard to the _implementation_ of global number policies -
 to the extent that it is performing that role today and in the future, it is
 because it is and will be serving as the IANA Numbering Services Operator.

 There exists the possibility at some future time that a different party could
 be the IANA Numbering Services Operator, and in such a situation, ICANN
 would continue to have an a role (as in the original mission language) with
 respect to facilitating _development_ of global number registry policies (as
 per the existing ICANN/ASO MOU), but it would not then be involved in the
 implementation of global number registry policies.  As such, the proposed
 change to add “and implementation" is not appropriate.

This response is provided after consultation with (and by unanimous
consent of) the executive committee of the ASO (aka NRO-EC).

/John

John Curran
President and CEO
ARIN