[cc-humanrights] Comment for the "Streamlined Approach" (?) Text

Niels ten Oever niels at article19.org
Fri May 27 10:50:40 UTC 2016

Dear Seth,

On 05/26/2016 10:29 PM, Seth Johnson wrote:
> (Reposting with a subject topic more relevant to the specific
> suggestion I put in this commentary.)
>

> You should be careful from the outset when you use language about
> ICANN to define the parameters of the project.
>
> The title of what we're doing can and should be stated the way you
> have, but what we're doing entails understanding what happens to human
> rights (of all kinds, not just treaty-based ones) in the transition.

What are non-treaty based human rights?

> Though the FOI must be scoped to ICANN and the By-laws, the matter
> involves a broader view, considering the issue with reference to the
> surrounding context and where we are ending up in the transition.
>
> Even if ICANN has very appropriately declared it has no governmental
> authority and doesn't enforce human rights, our task includes making
> clear what happens when we move away from *that* one government as the
> "host," to "all the governments" (understanding that *extremely*
> amorphously).

In theory it doesn't matter for the FoI where ICANN is located, because
it is a positive commitment, right? This is something that is explicilty
mentioned in the UN Guiding Principles to also cover for organizations
operating in courties with weak rule of law and human rights track record.

> It's important to remember that the nature of the issue of human
> rights isn't necessarily structurally wedded to ICANN structures, so
> we can't accidentally let it be treated that way. Addressing the
> issue of human rights should mean addressing how we understand human
> rights to be referenced with respect to *what the transition means*
> for human rights.  This can be done very well by commenting on the
> nature of "standard of review" and how the transition to a "more
> international" legal basis for rights affects that.

Aren't we now defining the standard of review with the FoI ?

> That would be my comment on the document(s?) we've seen so far.  In
> the "streamlined approach" one, I would say add a point observing that
> peoples in individual countries (or federal unions, as we just saw
> with the Safe Harbor Agreement in the EU) have very strong rights that
> have to be recognized.

I think you are referring to the vizualization. This maps how ICANN
policies relate to human rights, I am not sure where Safe Harbor would
fit into that, except for under the RAA's that are already mentioned. Do
you think we should expand that?
Concrete text suggestions are very welcome.

> (As we start out, I think we can and should set aside the tangentially
> related matter some have raised elsewhere, of CA as the legal locus
> for ICANN's incorporation.  That's only one notion of the issue of
> jurisdiction, and for that matter isn't particularly relevant to human
> rights, certainly given that I presume we all see the human rights
> issue the way I just described it -- working more from understanding
> how things work as we move to the "all the governments" international
> context.  It can be considered in the jurisdiction discussion, and is
> vaguely relevant to rights in another sense -- ICANN as a "person" and
> its member[s] holding rights that relate to a US state in the "US
> federal republic of republics.")
>

> Seth

Best,

Niels