[Ccwg-auctionproceeds] Recordings, Attendance & AC Chat from CCWG Auction Proceeds call on Thursday, 24 August 2017 at 14:00 UTC

Julie Bisland julie.bisland at icann.org
Thu Aug 24 20:15:35 UTC 2017

Dear all,

Please find the attendance of the call attached to this email, and the AC Chat, MP3 and Adobe Connect recordings below for the CCWG Auction Proceeds call held on Thursday, 24 August 2017 at 14:00 UTC.

Mp3: https://audio.icann.org/gnso/gnso-new-gtld-auction-proceeds-24aug17-en.mp3

AC Recording:   https://participate.icann.org/p2o284uaclg/<https://participate.icann.org/p2o284uaclg/?OWASP_CSRFTOKEN=92ef84797cbc0a40edc01adc638682d4b8e9db4caddb88df1939c4dc577b4caa>

The recordings and transcriptions of the calls are posted on the GNSO Master Calendar page: http://gnso.icann.org/en/group-activities/calendar<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__gnso.icann.org_en_group-2Dactivities_calendar-23nov&d=DwMGaQ&c=FmY1u3PJp6wrcrwll3mSVzgfkbPSS6sJms7xcl4I5cM&r=8_WhWIPqsLT6TmF1Zmyci866vcPSFO4VShFqESGe_5iHWGlBLwwwehFBfjrsjWv9&m=uidTA5V7RlRhqXBxGhLbVHOzk2lvDzLHK99nhjsKzW0&s=G7owpjQHHbzd9bFlrfdYX7Lik6lU9W8BeG1n7HUqLpI&e=>

Wiki agenda page:  https://community.icann.org/x/Z2zwAw

Thank you.

Kind regards,

Julie

---------------

Adobe Connect chat transcript for Thursday, 24 August 2017

  Julie Bisland:Welcome to the CCWG New gTLD Auction Proceeds call on Thursday, 24 August 2017 at 14:00 UTC

  Julie Bisland:Agenda wiki page: https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__community.icann.org_x_Z2zwAw&d=DwICaQ&c=FmY1u3PJp6wrcrwll3mSVzgfkbPSS6sJms7xcl4I5cM&r=QiF-05YzARosRvTYd84AB_UYInlydmFcjNmBM5XgySw&m=JSlns4xjc0PHdOgzqISuaEGkFxOmotaP5sxRcTq1m8w&s=1DvUSljoXOTLEhzEhSkyX6LmpsEAVDAmxAWnZ4zyQ5Q&e=

  Erika Mann:Hi Julie

  Erika Mann:Hi everyone!

  Julf Helsingius:Erika: I am still on the GNSO Council call...

  Julie Bisland:hello Erika!! welcome everyone!

  Erika Mann:Marika might be a bit late today, she's still on the GNSO Council call

  Erika Mann:And Ching will join us a bit later as well, his's still on a plane

  Julf Helsingius:Erika: trying to wrap up

  Dietmar Stefitz:Hi to all of you!

  Erika Mann:Good to know Julf, thanks!

  Vanda Scartezini:hi everyone.

  judith hellerstein:HI LL

  judith hellerstein:HI ALL

  Manal Ismail:Hello everyone :) !!

  Erika Mann:Asha is joining us late as well, she's still in a meeting

  Marc Gauw:Hello all !

  Jian Zhang:hi all

  Sylvia Cadena:Hi everyone

  Carolina Caeiro:hi all

  Glenn McKnight:Hi

  Glenn McKnight:Great comments from  Sylvia Cadena about tides

  Kavouss Arasteh:Good time to all,

  Julf Helsingius:Council meeting ended

  Kavouss Arasteh:May I RESPECTFULLY REQUEST EVERBODY WHO SPEAKS KINDLY SPEAK SLOWLY, CLEARLY SEPARATING SYLLABUS ONE FROM ANOTHER AS not EVERYBODY HAS THE SAME ABILITY TO GRASPS

  Kavouss Arasteh:WHAT IS SAID

  Glenn McKnight:Good  point Kavouss

  judith hellerstein:Thanks Kavouss for reminding all about this

  Glenn McKnight:A good use of Captioning here

  judith hellerstein:Exactly

  Vanda Scartezini:would be very good...

  judith hellerstein:I have requested this but as it is a CCWG, it has to be approved separately

  Sylvia Cadena:All that work is greatly appreciate it. Trying to collect so many contributions is hard work.

  Kavouss Arasteh:Dear Marika

  Sylvia Cadena:I guess there are issues that are interdependent, and it is a bit hard to limit comments to one issue alone. Trying to focus on one, will be great but sometimes seems difficult

  Kavouss Arasteh: pls speak slowly

  Vanda Scartezini:@sylvia. very true. the resumen are so great. we need to really appreciate the work done. is making our task much easier

  Kavouss Arasteh:Bitte sprechen sie langsam

  Marika Konings:The charter can be found here: https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__community.icann.org_x_DJjDAw&d=DwICaQ&c=FmY1u3PJp6wrcrwll3mSVzgfkbPSS6sJms7xcl4I5cM&r=QiF-05YzARosRvTYd84AB_UYInlydmFcjNmBM5XgySw&m=JSlns4xjc0PHdOgzqISuaEGkFxOmotaP5sxRcTq1m8w&s=syBa2x0MYC6DsfNSJ7VshxKl3ej4gGNNiAPZhQSpEds&e=  . Erika is referring to section 5.

  Alan Greenberg:@Kavouss: :-)

  Kavouss Arasteh:Alan, what do you mean, I AM NOT FAMILIAR WITH SUCH CODED SCRIPT

  Alan Greenberg:It is a smile.

  Alan Greenberg:If you tilt your head to the left you might see it.

  Kavouss Arasteh:i WILL WHENEVER IT COMES TO THT MOMENT

  Stephanie Perrin:Apologies for being late.

  Jacob Odame-Baiden:Me too just joined

  Wale Bakare:Apologies for joining late

  Wale Bakare:Hi all

  Julf Helsingius:is someone being strangled in the background?

  Sylvia Cadena:My thoughts exactly, Julf :D

  enoss:now in adobe as well. thanks

  enoss:@marika was there any difference in the voting between members and participants?

  enoss:or roughly evenly split as well

  Becky Burr:+ 1 Alan.  I don't think we should assume there is more money coming in.

  Marika Konings:@Eliott - I have not undertaken that analysis, but could do so if helpful.

  Alan Greenberg:@Becky, not unless you plan to donate!

  Sylvia Cadena:Another way is to have answers on the survey that push respondents to have an opinion, using responses such as: strongly agree, agree, disagree, strongly disagree. That might push us all to be more clear.

  Vanda Scartezini:what I have suggest is just IF a new very interesting project come out after the end of $ we can opt to spen a % of Money from the Reserve ( if we accept to have such reserve) and for this have a mechanism on how to make this acceptance of such new project

  Stephen Deerhake (.as):+1 Alan as well.  Also +1 Becky as well.  Assume no more money is coming in...

  judith hellerstein:@elliott some of us are participants since we did not have the time to make every single meeting and chose to be participants for that reason

  Marika Konings:For this CCWG, members are those appointed by the chartering organizations. Others can choose to join as participants or observers.

  Alan Greenberg:Unless there is strong evidence to the contrary, we must assume there is no more money coming it. If it does, so be it. But we cannot presaume it and it is not, in my mind, worth considering at this point.

  judith hellerstein:@marika, what I meant to say is we did not put our names into the selection committee to be chosen as members

  Marika Konings:Thanks Judith for that clarification - I do note that some of the survey respondents may not be clear on the difference between member and participant so I'll make it further clear in upcoming surveys so that everyone ticks the proper box :-)

  Glenn McKnight:@Marika i remember finishing a survey a while ago. Is this survey a new one?

  Marika Konings:No, it is the old one, but it got deferred from the last meeting as we ran out of time

  Erika Mann:Xavier - can you confirm the 80 MIO number being reserved for litigation?

  Jonathan Robinson:@Eliot. Good series of points on background. Agree that next round remains some way off.

  Vanda Scartezini:good point John

  Vanda Scartezini:+ 1 ALAN

  MR JOHN ROBERT LEVINE:@alan +1 many times

  Wale Bakare:Exactly, Alan

 Wale Bakare:Thanks for that

  Sylvia Cadena:Agree with Alan, we need to focus on the task at hand.

  Alan Greenberg:If 5 years from now, there is more money, let's deal with it then.  SO unless someone is planning on writing a large cheque now, let's stop hypothesizing.

  judith hellerstein:I agree with alan

  Sylvia Cadena:Quality and efficiency should prevail.

  Vanda Scartezini:agree  ALAN, the focus shall be in the quality of the project.

  Jonathan Robinson:I'll conrtribute in chat

  judith hellerstein:I agree with what alan says.  we should use the money efficiently and expeditously and speed should not be the guiding point

  Jonathan Robinson:In support of Alan's most recent point, it's not speed that's the objective but rather not being focused on preservation of capital

  Stephanie Perrin:I certainly agree with the statement Erika is making.

  Kavouss Arasteh:Alan, how do you describe"Effectivel" what it is about

  Glenn McKnight:sorry no audio

  Sylvia Cadena:I just used the Agree button Erika.

  Glenn McKnight:I just agreed

  Manal Ismail:+1 Alan on quality rather than timeframe ..

  Stephanie Perrin:Apologies for not filling the poll, I thought I had done it (too many polls this week I guess)

  Wale Bakare:I discoverd that discussions on the mailing list are not included in meeting's agenda

  Marika Konings:@Wale - please see item 6.

  enoss:how was that question asked?

  Jonathan Robinson:As per my previous point. The key is that this is intended to be a disbursemnet of the capital.

  Marika Konings:although we may not have time to cover item 6 in today's meeting

  enoss:raise hand if AGREE?

  judith hellerstein:noraise hand if you do not agree

  Stephanie Perrin:Use agree flag

  Sylvia Cadena:If you are on Adobe, use the agree button.

  Wale Bakare:Thanks, Marika

  Xavier Calvez:To precise what Elliott said about the new gTLD program fees: the total application fee was $185,000. From this total, $60,000 from this total fee was designed to cover for "hard-to-predict" expenses of the program (like unexpected evaluation steps, mis-estimation of the costs of planned steps, other risks, legal defense costss,...).   Elliott also indicated that there was an excess of $80m of leftover fees. To correct this statement, it is not known today whether there will be left over funds, once the program is done. There are more future costs  to be incurred on the program: evaluation costs, administrative costs, legal defense costs. It is currently estimated that, once all predictable costs have been incurred, there would be about $90m left to cover for risk -related costs (including legal defense). It is not known yet how much these risk-related costs will be nor how long it will take for all matters of the program to be closed.

  Erika Mann:Sylvia, we can do this ... I will point out to it

  Marika Konings:How about this for the CCWG agreements in relation to this topic: The CCWG's focus is on the funds that are currently available without any assumption that additional funds will become available. The CCWG will focus on developing recommendations that will enable the disbursement of the funds in an effective and judicious manner without creating a perpetual mechanism (i.e. not being focused on preservation of capital).

  Wale Bakare:I think, "effectiveness" in context  may mean projects that would have long term impact on ICANN' mission. Hope i am not wrong

  Jonathan Robinson:@Marika. I think that's a good start.

  Marika Konings:please mute your mic when not speaking

  hadia Elminiawi:@Wale i guess the word "effectiveness" needs to be yet defined

  Xavier Calvez:To further clarify (Thank you Sylvia for the suggestion), the new gTLD program application fees and the remaining funds that Elliott and I commented on are fully separate and segregated from the auction proceeds that this CCWG is dealing with.

  Vanda Scartezini:13 in my account

  Dietmar Stefitz:agree

  Carolina Caeiro:just support

Carolina Caeiro:yes, thank you Erika

  enoss:(I will need to drop off in 5 min)

  Wale Bakare:@Hadia, conciously the words "effective" and "judicious" may bring variation of meanings

  Erika Mann:Thank you Xavier. This is very helpful.

  enoss:I would like to call for consensus on this point

  Marika Konings:Note that the survey was inspired by the email that Jonathan R. sent to the list, not the discussion on the call :-)

  enoss:51:17 is as much as we would be likely to get on another issue

  enoss:any other issue, not another

  Marika Konings:it is a bit faint, but fine

  Stephanie Perrin:no not at all

  Dietmar Stefitz:yes, I hear him

  enoss:I can barely hear him

  enoss:NOW yes

  judith hellerstein:this is much better. thanks

  Sylvia Cadena:Can someone send the adobe connect link to Olga? she is asking on the list

  judith hellerstein:she is on the call already

  Marika Konings:@Sylvia - it has been sent to her.

  judith hellerstein:i sent it her via email and whats ap

  Sylvia Cadena:Great ;)

  Sylvia Cadena:Thank you ladies :)

  judith hellerstein:she said she was having connectivity issues

  enoss:then we should also have an articulation as to why this is inappropriate for these funds

  Alan Greenberg:Note it was not just CCWG Acct, but also the CWG IANA Stewardship that drew down the reserve.

  enoss:AND why the $90m xavier identified should not be called on first before these funds

  enoss:which are a CLEAR and UNIQUE opportunity to help

  Jonathan Robinson:@Eliot. Both good points.

  enoss:(apologies gtg, but will leave chat open to read later

  Alan Greenberg:@Eliott,  I would be delighted if the $90m would be used for the reserve, but I think many applicants would strongly object.

  Jonathan Robinson:To be clear, the $90m being described here is a separate sum outside of current reserve and auction funds.

  Marc Gauw:What I missed during the discussion on 'suporting the Icann reserve fund' is the fiscal /legal question whether a potential new "Auction fund foundation" with a 501(c) status is even allowed to donate to an Icann reserve fund. Doesn't sound like a 'charity'-donation..

  Alan Greenberg:Marc, an interesting question. But if we wished, we could designate it before the rest goes to the "foundation"

  Vanda Scartezini:MArc. done before as Alan said solves the question related to 501(c)

  Marc Gauw:@Aan..... Ok, but then Icann would 'donate' to itself.... not sure how tax-authorities see that

  Vanda Scartezini:understand the account still in ICANN name. just move from one account to another inside the organization, not a donation

  Alan Greenberg:In my opinion, we (the CCWG) would recommend that ICANN take $X and move itinto the reserve, and the rest to the foundation (or whatever).

  hadia Elminiawi:@Alan alternatively  a committee could be formed for this purpose, as this group is not to designated to allocate any money

  Stephanie Perrin 2:One question is, if the CCWG ran us over and caused funds to be depleted, why did we not anticipate that as a corporation?  I do think a reasonable case needs to be presented, as Jonathan suggested.  We should in the meantime move on.

  hadia Elminiawi:@Alan alternatively  a committee could be formed for this purpose, as this group is not designated to allocate any money

  Julf Helsingius:jjjjjI don't think that is for this group to decide

  MR JOHN ROBERT LEVINE:no, of course not. The reserve is set as part of ICANN's overall budget

  Sylvia Cadena:No, we are discussing if part of the auction funds goes to replenish the reserves or not. ICANN already has a reserve.

  Julf Helsingius:so we all agree

  Wale Bakare:ICANN reserve fund discussion is outside scope of this group

  Marc Gauw:Ok, but then the question is NOT whether WE THINK the auctions funds will be used to donate to the Icann reserve fund, but whether Icann reserves all the Auction money for the Auction Fund.  So in fact... it is not our decision then !

  Wale Bakare:*outside the scope

  Sylvia Cadena:Kavous, we are mnot intervening in that issue.

  Alan Greenberg:We are ONLY discussing whwether we honour the request from the Board to allocate some of the funds to the reserve. We can decide if we do and how much. The existance of the reserve and the target level is not on our table.

  Sylvia Cadena:We are asked to say yes or no to use auction funds to replenish the reserves. Those conversations are about how much of the auction funds can be allocated.

  Stephanie Perrin 2:I believe the question is, do we need to contemplate a structure that would permit ICANN to apply for the funds.  Since I cannot imagine such a structure under the current non-profit nature of the organization, either we get legal advice on how that would be possible, or we drop it.

  Wale Bakare:@Sylvia, are you saying the whole Auction Funds or part?

  judith hellerstein:@stephanie, I thik we heard the legal advice that it is allowed, but the question is whether we should agree to allow this.  It seems to be a perception issue

  hadia Elminiawi:+1Alan

  Sylvia Cadena:The charter question is quite clear, as Alan is mentioning @Wale

  Erika Mann:Only part @Wale

  Wale Bakare:Good, "some part". Let us discuss how much

  Marc Gauw:OK, clear Alan, thanks...

  Manal Ismail:+1 Alan

  Stephanie Perrin 2:So then a brief synopsis is:  Board cannot at the moment just reach out and take the funds.  They are asking us to permit ICANN to take some of the funds for the reserve.  There is nothing in the original applicants guidebook, resolutions regarding funds, charter of the group etc that says this is illegal.  The question is whether it is ethical.

  Sylvia Cadena:This is the charter question we are trying to address "To what extent (and, if so, how) could ICANN, the Organization or a constituent part thereof, be the beneficiary of some of the auction funds?"

  Alan Greenberg:In my mind, A reasonable limit would be no more that the lesser of 20% and $50m.

  Alan Greenberg:That covers the case of us only having $105m or the ful 240m

  Alan Greenberg:But that is just my opinion and suggestion.

  Alan Greenberg:Discussing this without full infrom the Board is not worth the time.

  Nadira AL-Araj:+1 Alan for the board input

  Wale Bakare:@Alan, i support your suggestion just as you suggested in last meeting. Can't we focus on that?

  Stephanie Perrin 2:Thanks Sylvia.  I guess I see a qualitative difference in that Charter question.....I had assumed that it meant could a consitutuent part (eg the fellowship program, the ICANN academy) apply for part of the funds for purposes that appeared to match our goals.  I did not think that Charter question contemplated a constituent part of the org applying for basic operating expenses.

  judith hellerstein:I agree with Stephanie Perrin

  Marika Konings:@Sylvia - that is also captured in the notes and record of survey will be kept.

Marika Konings:We'll start documenting the different surveys on the wiki so these can be easily found.

  judith hellerstein:I think that is what the survey showed us

  Marilyn Cade:The report should be careful to note what status each respondent has -- e.g. Member, participant, observer, etc.

  Xavier Calvez:Regarding the ICANN Reserve Fund: ICANN has a reserve fund in place, set up in 2007. It is governed by the Investment Policy, approved by the Board. This policy says that the level of the Reserve Fund should be at least of 12 months of Operating Expenses, which is currently of approximately $140m. The Reserve Fund balance is currently of approximately $60m, after about $30m were taken to cover for the costs of the IANA Stewardship transition (CWG, CCWG, implementaion costs,...).

  Jonathan Robinson:Agree with Sylvia and others. The outcome of the survey (and thsoe who participated) is clear. But, suggest we conclude subject to hearing new / additional information in this case. We are essentially in the drak as to current (board / organisation) thinking on the reserve fund.

  Nadira AL-Araj:What about a scenario if we delegated the fund distribution to established independent organization. If ICANN apply to any project like any other entity, that might happen

  Vanda Scartezini:agree too, lost connection few seconds..

 Marika Konings:@Marilyn - respondents are asked to self-identify but I've noticed that not everyone is clear on their status so we'll make sure to clarify that in future surveys.

  Sylvia Cadena:The project about doing that is that requesting reserves funds is not really a project. So evaluation/monitoring of that activity will overstep on what the Board does to oversee the reserves management @nadira

  Sylvia Cadena:Thanks Erika. Will be there.

  Julie Bisland:The next CCWG New gTLD Auction Proceeds call will be held on Thursday, 07 September 2017 at 14:00 UTC for 90 minutes.

  Nadira AL-Araj:Thank Syliva, I'm talking about another scenario

  Vanda Scartezini:holiday here so not a problema at all for Sept. 7th

  Wale Bakare:Thanks Erika, bye all

  Sylvia Cadena:Thank you all

  Marc Gauw:Thanks all, and bye bye from Holland !

  Vanda Scartezini:thank you all have a nacie weeks

  Manal Ismail:Thanks Erika, Marka and all ..

  Carolina Caeiro:Bye, thanks

  judith hellerstein:bye all

  Sylvia Cadena:bye from Brisbane

  Joke Braeken:thank you all. Bye.

  Nadira AL-Araj:Thank you Erika & Markia and all.

  hadia Elminiawi:Thank you all, bye

  Julf Helsingius:Thanks Erika and everybody!

  Dietmar Stefitz:Thanks, erika, Marika et all!

  Jacob Odame-Baiden:thank you all, bye