[Ccwg-auctionproceeds] Your input requested - List of topics & individuals/organizations

Sylvia Cadena sylvia at apnic.net
Thu Feb 2 13:50:17 UTC 2017

Done, first 2 cents :)

-- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --

Sylvia Cadena  |  APNIC Foundation | Head of Programs | sylvia at apnic.net<mailto:sylvia at apnic.net>

ISIF Asia | http://www.isif.asia<http://www.isif.asia/>
FB ISIF.asia | G+ ISIFAsia | @ISIF_Asia

6 Cordelia Street, South Brisbane, QLD,  4101 Australia | PO Box 3646
Tel: +61 7 3858 3100 |  Fax: +61 7  3858 3199

* Love trees. Print only if necessary.

On 2/02/2017, 10:51 PM, "ccwg-auctionproceeds-bounces at icann.org<mailto:ccwg-auctionproceeds-bounces at icann.org> on behalf of Marc Gauw" <ccwg-auctionproceeds-bounces at icann.org<mailto:ccwg-auctionproceeds-bounces at icann.org> on behalf of marc.gauw at nlnet.nl<mailto:marc.gauw at nlnet.nl>> wrote:


I just updated this Google doc.
So willing to share with you our 20 years experience at NLnet  in being a dutch tax-exempt charity, awarding funds worldwide via an Open Call process to projects in the domain of Internet technology.

Kind regards,

Op 2-2-2017 om 8:38 schreef Mathieu Weill:
Thanks Marika,

I have also suggested that Sam Eisner brief the group on the very definition of ICANN’s Mission, as it was recently updated with the purpose of defining its scope more clearly, as part of the IANA Stewardship Transition.


De : ccwg-auctionproceeds-bounces at icann.org<mailto:ccwg-auctionproceeds-bounces at icann.org> [mailto:ccwg-auctionproceeds-bounces at icann.org] De la part de Marika Konings
Envoyé : mercredi 1 février 2017 23:26
À : ccwg-auctionproceeds at icann.org<mailto:ccwg-auctionproceeds at icann.org>
Objet : [Ccwg-auctionproceeds] Your input requested - List of topics & individuals/organizations

Dear All,

In relation to action item #1, please find at the following link a table to which the CCWG can start adding possible topics for future briefings as well as individuals/organizations that the CCWG may want to consult at some point in time: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1QtwFa9nCIMq8JYCtBHxAyQraWQ6M-iNNP4Kyq6q9Cds/edit?usp=sharing. Ideally the CCWG will be in a position to match the individuals/organizations with the topics that are identified for which further information and/or briefings are needed. This may of course also include CCWG members and/or participants that may have relevant knowledge and expertise (note, a draft survey to assess CCWG skills and expertise is forthcoming shortly).

At this stage, the list only includes some recommendations from staff. At the end of the document you will find the suggestions that have been made on the mailing list to date. Those that made those suggestions are encouraged to add the relevant details to the tables. Of course, any other suggestions are also welcome.

Best regards,


P.S. you will also find the Word version attached for those that are unfamiliar or do not have access to Google Docs.

From: <ccwg-auctionproceeds-bounces at icann.org><mailto:ccwg-auctionproceeds-bounces at icann.org> on behalf of Marika Konings <marika.konings at icann.org><mailto:marika.konings at icann.org>
Date: Thursday, January 26, 2017 at 10:14 AM
To: "ccwg-auctionproceeds at icann.org"<mailto:ccwg-auctionproceeds at icann.org> <ccwg-auctionproceeds at icann.org><mailto:ccwg-auctionproceeds at icann.org>
Subject: [Ccwg-auctionproceeds] Notes and action items from today's new gTLD Auction Proceeds CCWG

Dear All,

Please find below the notes and action items from today’s meeting. The next meeting will be scheduled for Thursday 9 February at 15.00 UTC for 90 minutes.

Best regards,


Notes - 26 January 2017 CCWG Auction Proceeds

These high-level notes are designed to help PDP WG members navigate through the content of the call and are not meant as a substitute for the transcript and/or recording. The MP3, transcript, and chat are provided separately and are posted on the wiki at: https://community.icann.org/x/D7HDAw[community.icann.org]<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__community.icann.org_x_D7HDAw&d=DwMGaQ&c=FmY1u3PJp6wrcrwll3mSVzgfkbPSS6sJms7xcl4I5cM&r=7_PQAir-9nJQ2uB2cWiTDDDo5Hfy5HL9rSTe65iXLVM&m=vItA34uTu0FtkgcQCuJc8AmJn77jDHI3siyI64lNySY&s=MGLfLooJIjOM7z93zv9aa2z6zNaMM26J_gYlwPV9_vk&e=>.

1. Roll Call

·         Attendance will be taken from Adobe Connect

·         This WG has members, participants and observers. Only members and participants are invited to calls. The call details are circulated on a non-archived mailing list (ntyf). Please do not circulate these details. Should you want to change your status from observer to participant, please contact gnso-secs at icann.org<mailto:gnso-secs at icann.org>.

·         Please remember to mute your microphone when not speaking.

2. Welcome & Introductions

·         Get to know each other via participation or possible an in person meeting at a future ICANN meeting. Feel free to reach out to staff or raising your hands if you have any questions.

·         If you want to speak, please use the raising hand feature in Adobe Connect.

·         Staff support for this effort will be provided by Marika Konings (GNSO), Joke Braeken (ccNSO) and Nathalie Peregrine (SO/AC Support Team).

·         Two Board liaisons have been appointed to this effort (Asha Hemrajani and Becky Burr) as the Board has fiduciary responsibilities. Expected to be a go between the CCWG and Board to highlight any concerns or questions the CCWG and/or Board may have.

·         Samantha Eisner (deputy legal Counsel, ICANN) will continue in the role of staff liaison/advisor, similar to the support she provided in the drafting team by advising on ICANN's legal and fiduciary responsibilities.

·         Lauren Allison is providing internal support to ICANN org on this topic and is also expected to join this call on a regular basis.

·         CCWG should be comfortable with this level of staff support provided - if there are any concerns, these should be flagged.

High level principles of operation of CCWGs:

·         CCWG will be lead and co-ordinated by the co-chairs appointed by the Chartering Organizations. To date, the GNSO and ccNSO have appointed a co-chair (Jonathan Robinson - GNSO, Ching Chiao - ccNSO).

·         Leadership team meets prior to the meeting to prepare the agenda and prep for the meeting.

·         CCWG is expected to work as a collaborative unit - need to excercise discipline.

·         Members are appointed by chartering organization and serve a specific liaison role.

·         Participants participate in the same way as members do, the only difference may be if there is a need for a consensus call (noting that the leadership will do its best to avoid the need for any votes).

·         Observers can follow the discussions on the mailing list, but are not invited to join calls.

·         All members and participants are required to complete a statement of interest and a declaration of interest.

·         If after a number of reminders you have not completed your SOI or DOI your status will be downgraded to observer until you have completed the required statements.

·         For more information about the practical workings of Adobe Connect, wiki, etc., please review the communication tools webinar (see https://participate.icann.org/p830qbsrcot/).

·         Is there anything as "good standing" for CCWG members/participants similar to https://www.w3.org/2004/02/Process-20040205/groups.html#good-standing? No, not currently, only requirements are SOI and DOI.

3. Update on CO membership appointments and chairs

·         Still awaiting appointments from the ASO, ALAC and GAC - these are forthcoming

·         All have confirmed their participation and adoption of the charter.

·         The ccNSO Council has appointed Ching as an interim co-chair - the Council will revisit its decision during ICANN59 whether it will officially appoint a co-chair to this group, and if so, whether it is Ching or someone else.

4. Review CCWG charter

·         See slides circulated (https://community.icann.org/download/attachments/63156495/new%20gTLD%20Auction%20Proceeds%20Charter%20-%2022%20January%202017.pdf?version=1&modificationDate=1485303016000&api=v2)

5. Discuss what information and/or preparation is needed to start developing work plan

·         What briefing / input is needed? For example, should another briefing on the legal and fiduciary constraints be provided? Any other information / expertise that will be required?

·         What preparations / inputs are needed prior to developing the work plan?

·         Determine what expertise is available in the CCWG. Consider surveying the CCWG to determine what expertise is available in the CCWG to see what expertise may be missing.

·         CCWG will need to give consideration as part of its deliberations to local/global nature of mechanism recommended.

·         Need briefings from people that do this as part of their daily jobs to get further insights into best practices. Need to avoid reinventing the wheel so important to benefit from those that have expertise in this area. Note a number of suggestions and offers made in the chat. Develop a list of possible organisations to invite / speak to at the outset.

·         Create two documents: table of expertise of CCWG members - individuals can add to this (proposer, expertise). Create document to start ad-hoc thinking about the questions.

Action item #1: Start building list of prospective individuals / organizations that could provide input and expertise at the outset of the CCWG deliberations

Action item #2: Staff to develop draft table of expertise for CCWG completion and start ad-hoc document which will allow CCWG members/participants to share thinking about charter questions.

6. Discuss proposed timing, duration and frequency of meetings

·         Factoring in time zone spread of CCWG members and participants, suggests that a single time slot of 15.00 UTC may work for most. If this does not work, may need to consider alternatives, including rotation.

·         Proposed to continue on Thursdays, for 90 minutes, every two weeks.

·         For ICANN58, staff will be requesting a slot on Wednesday from 15.15-16.45 local time for the CCWG. CCWG can decide at a later date whether you want to use this slot or not.

7. AOB

8. Confirm next steps & time / date for next meeting

·         9 February at 15.00 UTC for 90 minutes

Marika Konings
Senior Policy Director & Team Leader for the GNSO, Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers (ICANN)
Email: marika.konings at icann.org<mailto:marika.konings at icann.org>

Follow the GNSO via Twitter @ICANN_GNSO
Find out more about the GNSO by taking our interactive courses[learn.icann.org]<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__learn.icann.org_courses_gnso&d=DwMGaQ&c=FmY1u3PJp6wrcrwll3mSVzgfkbPSS6sJms7xcl4I5cM&r=7_PQAir-9nJQ2uB2cWiTDDDo5Hfy5HL9rSTe65iXLVM&m=vItA34uTu0FtkgcQCuJc8AmJn77jDHI3siyI64lNySY&s=kixxphdlPEofa7yl91pqzxSXyA_zAwybEKZcLJVwzUs&e=> and visiting the GNSO Newcomer pages[gnso.icann.org]<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__gnso.icann.org_sites_gnso.icann.org_files_gnso_presentations_policy-2Defforts.htm-23newcomers&d=DwMGaQ&c=FmY1u3PJp6wrcrwll3mSVzgfkbPSS6sJms7xcl4I5cM&r=7_PQAir-9nJQ2uB2cWiTDDDo5Hfy5HL9rSTe65iXLVM&m=vItA34uTu0FtkgcQCuJc8AmJn77jDHI3siyI64lNySY&s=25ZEa4vOx_lAeIWfnKlPfk3VcKAi3ee-LT4wSV8ZHJk&e=>.


Ccwg-auctionproceeds mailing list

Ccwg-auctionproceeds at icann.org<mailto:Ccwg-auctionproceeds at icann.org>



Marc Gauw,

Directeur Stichting NLnet

+ 31 6 24 874 224

+ 31 20 888 4252

marc.gauw at nlnet.nl<mailto:marc.gauw at nlnet.nl>

Science Park 400

1098 XH  Amsterdam
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://mm.icann.org/pipermail/ccwg-auctionproceeds/attachments/20170202/c4d61f0f/attachment-0001.html>

More information about the Ccwg-auctionproceeds mailing list