[Ccwg-auctionproceeds] Mp3, Attendance & AC Chat for CCWG Auction Proceeds call on Thursday, 09 February 2017 at 15:00 UTC
michelle.desmyter at icann.org
Thu Feb 9 19:47:06 UTC 2017
Please find the attendance of the call attached to this email and the MP3 recording below for the CCWG Auction Proceeds call held on Thursday, 09 February 2017 at 15:00 UTC.
The recordings and transcriptions of the calls are posted on the GNSO Master Calendar page:
** Please let me know if your name has been left off the list **
Mailing list archives: http://mm.icann.org/pipermail/ccwg-auctionproceeds/
Wiki page: https://community.icann.org/x/pY7RAw
Adobe Connect chat transcript for Thursday, 09 February 2017
Michelle DeSmyter:Dear all, welcome to the New gTLD Auction Proceeds CCWG call on Thursday 09 February 2017
Stephanie Perrin:Have I miscalculated the time? Must be so....
Stephanie Perrin:See you later!
Marika Konings:Please note that this call is scheduled for 15.00 UTC.
Ahmed Bakht:Thanks Michelle, probably still 30 minutes left for the meeting
Olga Cavalli - GAC Argentina:hi michelle can I test my mic and see if it works?
Michelle DeSmyter:Hi there Olga - yes, one mometn
Olga Cavalli - GAC Argentina:sure
Olga Cavalli - GAC Argentina:I can hear you can you hear me?
Olga Cavalli - GAC Argentina:perfect thanks!
Marika Konings:@Olga, no we cannot hear you
Marika Konings:Have you joined by telephone or via Adobe Connect?
Olga Cavalli - GAC Argentina:adobe but I have a mic which does not work, will change computers no worries
Michelle DeSmyter:sounds good
Michelle DeSmyter:please let me know if you need a dial out from the operator, we can certainly do that as well
Olga Cavalli - GAC Argentina:thanks will try with the other computer
Julf Helsingius:Good afternoon. Sounds like someone has mic on...
Ahmed Bakht Masood:Hi every one
Asha Hemrajani:Good evening
Becky Burr:Hello all
Olga Cavalli - GAC Argentina 2:someone is typing....
Dietmar Stefitz:Hi to all
Michael Flemming:Is there sound?
Mei Lin Fung:I could not access the charter questions - CCWG input on charter questions – see https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__docs.google.com_document_d_1QN7zarCr2c2BVv3pfa6Z5O10pDcgHSIQ5Q3CBdX2WE-5Bdocs.google.com-5D&d=DwIFaQ&c=FmY1u3PJp6wrcrwll3mSVzgfkbPSS6sJms7xcl4I5cM&r=8_WhWIPqsLT6TmF1Zmyci866vcPSFO4VShFqESGe_5iHWGlBLwwwehFBfjrsjWv9&m=Au-ff33V2J7i91M4Y8d7_0kTx-RIVTCdSp_7TqtCGmE&s=IQ4duvT-rDbhILIBl6kxrqNBrJ_vqIvlOoeM4lcp0JQ&e=
Michael Flemming:Volume very low
elliot noss:australia 5 numbers, UK 5 numbers, france 3 numbers, canada 0. the 51st state!
Julf Helsingius:volume fine here
Michael Flemming:My volume was low.
Marika Konings:@Mei - the document was also circulated in Word format, so please feel free to add your input to that version.
Asha Hemrajani:I cannot hear anything
Evan Leibovitch:audio fine here
Julf Helsingius:fine here too
Olga Cavalli - GAC Argentina 2:audio ok here
Asha Hemrajani:Ok audio back for me
Manal Ismail:Can't hear anything, is it only me?
Michelle DeSmyter:Manal, I will private message you
Tony Harris:Meetings should not coincide with GNSO Council Meetinga
Stephanie Perrin:+1 Tony
John Levine:People in Copenhagen will talk about this whether or not there is an official meeting.
John Levine:So we might as well get a room with microphones so people can tell what we're talking about.
Waudo:Can we coincide the (copenhagen) f2f with te=he normal fortnightly meeting - if there is remote facilities available
John Levine:Yes, there was a doogle poll
Marika Konings:The poll is available here: https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__icannorg.beta.doodle.com_poll_7t7xhkvfa4wicr7g&d=DwIFaQ&c=FmY1u3PJp6wrcrwll3mSVzgfkbPSS6sJms7xcl4I5cM&r=8_WhWIPqsLT6TmF1Zmyci866vcPSFO4VShFqESGe_5iHWGlBLwwwehFBfjrsjWv9&m=Au-ff33V2J7i91M4Y8d7_0kTx-RIVTCdSp_7TqtCGmE&s=ZwMp3YmC8LWnQJx74cr2Neo8_OnhpAk0Gsci3KBP5A8&e= )
Evan Leibovitch:But let's not kid ourselves.... regardless of whether the meetings at ICANN events are official or social,
Evan Leibovitch:those who cannot be there are compromised.
Marika Konings:please note that for any official meetings, remote participation facilities are available.
Evan Leibovitch:For the social events too?
Marika Konings:and as always, any notes / action items will be communicated on the mailing list allowing for everyone to weigh in (similar to when someone may miss a 'normal' meeting)
Marika Konings:@Evan - unless someone who is at the bar dials you in and buys you a remote drink, I'm afraid not ;-)
Julf Helsingius:We do need that internet remote drink protocol
Marika Konings:As the ICANN meeting in Johannesburg is the policy forum and only 4 days, it may not be possible to schedule a meeting for this CCWG, but it will depend on the priorities that SO/ACs identify for that meeting.
Waudo:is there budget for external expertise?
vanda:sorry delay, problems with internet. ready now I hope
Waudo:can teh presentatio be done remotely?
Marika Konings:@Waudo - the idea is that the CCWG would identify what resources, if any, are needed as part of the development of the work plan so it can then be determined what funds may be needed (and whether those can be found in the current budget allocation or whether a specific request needs to be made)
matthew shears:Given experience in CCWG Accountability its essential to be absolutely clear about what we want from external advisors - otherwise costs mount rapidly
matthew shears:has there been any attempt to identify best practices out there - examples we may be able to look to?
matthew shears:apologies if this has already been done
elliot noss:+1 to that jonathan
Nadira ALARAJ:@elliot, does the ccTLD experince documented?
elliot noss:forgotten not only with toll-frees, but also with cc experience :-)
Nadira ALARAJ:Aha thanks
Samantha Eisner:Thanks Elliot. With the revisions made to the Mission through the CCWG-Accountability, we now have a bit of a different way that we discuss the mission. We can look at the CCWG-Accountability materials and see if there is some helpful language in there to help frame the mission constraints as the group is kicking off and before a fuller conversation
elliot noss:and I just referenced it! haha
elliot noss:@samantha, thanks. interesting note
Alan Greenberg:I have no idea of magnitude of ccTLD activities in this area, but suspect it might be 1-2 orders of magnitude smaller, at least on an annual or multi-year basis.
elliot noss:@alan, it is. you are correct
Tony Harris:One essential consideration is how the funded inititiatives are to be evaluated
Marika Konings:The presentations provided by some ccTLDs during a previous workshop can be found here: https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__community.icann.org_x_-5FYU0Aw&d=DwIFaQ&c=FmY1u3PJp6wrcrwll3mSVzgfkbPSS6sJms7xcl4I5cM&r=8_WhWIPqsLT6TmF1Zmyci866vcPSFO4VShFqESGe_5iHWGlBLwwwehFBfjrsjWv9&m=Au-ff33V2J7i91M4Y8d7_0kTx-RIVTCdSp_7TqtCGmE&s=Fzl1z9Wj7Wyts2GCwDQNriBbaa6xgvYSKI4HG0LGTVg&e=
Marika Konings:I will also post these on the WG wiki
Ahmed Bakht Masood:Thanks Marika
Nadira ALARAJ:Thanks Marika
elliot noss:handling costs? I would love to hear more
Alan Greenberg:@Tony, yes, evaluation is a very critical component. Necessary and yet must not end up being a major use of the funds.
Tony Harris:The European Commission had a funding round 11 years ago known as @lis and that might serve as a matrix
Nadira ALARAJ:That would good to invite expertise to the group on topic basis
Julf Helsingius:Erika Mann has experience with the Gates Foundation, I think. My experience with them is indirect.
Mei Lin Fung:+1 Alan Greenberg
Becky Burr:There are folks who know how to do this on a "one shot" basis. The broadband initiative at the beginning of the Obama administration as part of the economic recovery act is a good example.
Becky Burr:The woman who ran that grant program has now retired but would likely be willing to share her experience
Evan Leibovitch:I have direct experience with the World Bank's acting as an evaluaton mechanism to implement funding program criteria on behalf of foundations.
Nasrat Khalid:My mic seems to be having issues. Apologies about that.
Mei Lin Fung:Thank you Marika
Alan Greenberg:To put this in perspective, the Gates foundation has assets in the order of $37b and annually gives out several billion.
Nasrat Khalid:I just wanted to know if we have looked in to the development sector. The likes of the World Bank (My employer) but smaller scale organisations do work in the development sector that disburse such amount of funds on a regular basis.
Evan Leibovitch:Nasrat, the WB (maybe different sections) has engaged in this themselves.
Waudo:it seems a thin line between working on teh "mechanism"and considering the actual recipients
Asha Hemrajani:Perhaps best to look for external experts/advice first from sectors or organizations who are doling out funds in the same ballpark as our fund (~$200 to $300 million)
Alan Greenberg:@Asha, yes, and preferably in technology area.
Asha Hemrajani:Yes couldn't agree more Alan
Becky Burr:I beg to differ. ICANN's Mission is enumerated, and anything not enumaterated is outside the Mission
Asha Hemrajani:+1 Becky
elliot noss:could anyone who knows who is speaking from phone not chat please put a 1-line statement in chat?
elliot noss:ie. "speaking is fred flintstone from the gates foundation"
Julf Helsingius:I agree with Becky
Marika Konings:@Elliot - speaking before was Mark Grauw from .NL
Marika Konings:sorry, Marc Gauw
elliot noss:@marika thanks! on cell it can be tough sometimes and when they are not on adobe connect we can't look on our own
Mei Lin Fung:+1 agree with Jonathan's proposal that if CC's want to engage, they send a participant
Marika Konings:so far everyone that has responded to the poll has indicated that they are able to participate in person or remotely
Marika Konings:yes, correct, that is foreseen :-)
Alan Greenberg:Hopefully Sam is available on 2nd March.
Marika Konings:To activate your microphone, please click the telephone sign at the top of the AC pod
Mei Lin Fung:mic not working
Marika Konings:or if we can get you a dial-out, please let us know.
Mei Lin Fung:I will post my comment in chat here
Olga Cavalli - GAC Argentina 2:agrree with Alan!
Stephanie Perrin:+ 1 Alan.
Peter Vergote (ccNSO):+1 Alan
Mei Lin Fung:I'm with the People Centered Internet and vice chair for Internet inclusion at IEEE - in addition to the auction proceeds, may we consider tracking mechanisms to understand if the money has achieved the outcomes desired? T use the internet in being a model for competent use of funds for the purpose agreed to - and to phase fund outlays based on achievements in prior phases
Mei Lin Fung:This could be a great contribution by being a model for tracking in Internet time, and getting input from those who are supposed to be the beneficiaries by video and crowdsource feedback
matthew shears:+ 1 - typically those seeking fundng and successfu have toi account for how they used those funds
Julf Helsingius:I echo Mei Lin Fungs concern about tracking and following up on results
Mei Lin Fung:We want to go beyond typical - we are ICANN - we made possible the Internet - should we not steward the use of the Internet for all?
Asha Hemrajani:All please note that we we have not budgeted for f2f meetings for this group at all in FY18 budget
matthew shears:that unfortunate
Marika Konings:Special budget requests are due by Friday - but these need to come from an SO/AC
Dietmar Stefitz:I can set you up a Samll Conference like this for a ver Low Cost !
Stephanie Perrin:Governments have lots of experience in metrics regarding dispersal of funds. There are best practice models available; we should use them.
Jon Nevett:Should a f2f of this group be funded from FY18 budget or from the auction proceeds?
Mei Lin Fung:The Singapore Government Investment Corp has highly effective tracking
Asha Hemrajani:Indeed Mei Lin :-)
Dietmar Stefitz:These fudns can even come from teh Auction proceeds by itself, as did teh fees for other things
Marika Konings:Maybe the CCWG should first need to consider its timeline and expected milestones to determine whether a F2F is even needed to deliber on those. Note that most ICANN WGs do all their work through weekly / bi-weekly meetings.
Alan Greenberg:I think that is a discussion we could have, and have quickly. It would be good to hav from staff what the costs of a F at F meeting would be.
Mei Lin Fung:Jonathan - can you read out my input from the chat above?
Marika Konings:There is no external deadline which has been the reason why some other initiatives have had F2F meetings outside of an ICANN meeting
Mei Lin Fung:Due to my problem with mic
Mei Lin Fung:I wish to raise the point that this group consider effective tracking
Asha Hemrajani:Sebastien is correct, budget requests can be made but these need to come from an SO/AC
Alan Greenberg:ASha OR through the Public Comment process.
Ahmed Bakht Masood:@ Marika: My mic is also not working. What are the time lines for auction
Dietmar Stefitz:I agree with Sebastian !
Ahmed Bakht Masood:+1
Marika Konings:@Ahmed - there is no deadline.
Marika Konings:It is up to the CCWG to set its schedule
Ahmed Bakht Masood:Ok thanks
Mei Lin Fung:Thank you Jonathan for appropriately representing the point I raised
Dietmar Stefitz:I think there si no Problem, to get teh money out of the fund
Marika Konings:ball park figure is 100,000 $ I believe
Dietmar Stefitz:that's a real good figure Marika
Marika Konings:but obvously it all depends on location, attendees, # of days, etc.
Xavier Calvez:Correct Mariak. Based on the CCWG Accountability experience.
Dietmar Stefitz:Low Cost flights for all!
Becky Burr:But the point of this group is to develop recommendations about how to use the auction proceeds for consideration by SO/ACs
Becky Burr:don't really think we have authority to actually cause the funds to be spent, for example, on f2f meetings
Stephanie Perrin:+1 Becky
Ahmed Bakht Masood:To reduce travel cost, F2F meetings can be done in conjuction with ICANN meetings, two / three days before or earlier
Mei Lin Fung:Thank you Jonathan
Peter Vergote (ccNSO):Agree to that Becky. We should focus on workplan and milestones first!
Mei Lin Fung:for your good service as Co-chair and running this meeting
Olga Cavalli - GAC Argentina 2:Thanks Jonathan!!
Nadira ALARAJ:+1 for Becky's
Xavier Calvez:But it needs to be determined yet whether funding of travel to participants of this group is provided.
elliot noss:thanks. bye all
Nadira ALARAJ:Thank you
Dietmar Stefitz:Thank you Jonathan
bverd (RSSAC):thank you
Ahmed Bakht Masood:Bye all
Peter Vergote (ccNSO):Txs everyone. CU later
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: Attendance CCWG Auction 09 Feb 2017 Sheet1.pdf
Size: 33241 bytes
Desc: Attendance CCWG Auction 09 Feb 2017 Sheet1.pdf
More information about the Ccwg-auctionproceeds