[Ccwg-auctionproceeds] Proposed Agenda - CCWG Auction Proceeds meeting on Thursday 23 February at 15.00 UTC

Jonathan Robinson jrobinson at afilias.info
Thu Feb 23 14:55:12 UTC 2017

Thank-you Daniel,

This is helpful thinking.

Jonathan

-----Original Message-----
From: Daniel Dardailler [mailto:danield at w3.org]
Sent: Thursday, February 23, 2017 2:40 PM
To: Marika Konings <marika.konings at icann.org>
Cc: ccwg-auctionproceeds at icann.org
Subject: Re: [Ccwg-auctionproceeds] Proposed Agenda - CCWG Auction Proceeds meeting on Thursday 23 February at 15.00 UTC

Hello Marika, all

Looking at the draft work plan, I see that it's merely taking them in order, from 1 to 11.

I'm not sure this is the most logical path. I don't remember that the questions as presented in the first slideset of the CCWG were ranked or prioritized in such a milestone way (or in any way for that matters).

If I quickly summarize the questions:
   1) Legal framework (e.g. in-house, partnership, new agency)
   2) Funding what ? (scoping, strategy, etc)
   3) Safeguards legal (audit, constraints)
   4) Timeframe (calls, duration)
   5) CoI
   6) DevCountries priority
   7) ICANN's role in future granting process (in or out)
   8) Overhead amounts (%, fixed)
   9) Governance (selection committee, experts, etc)
  10) ICANN as beneficiary ?
  11) Followup review plan ?

It looks that some grouping might help.

There is a "legal group" with
    1, 3, 5, 7, 8,
and there is the "scope group" with
   2, 4, 6, 9, 10
(11 is a bit meta, but I think everybody agrees it's a yes: there should be a review mechanism built-in the proposed framework - so probably 11 just gets into the legal/structure group)

I think we should consider the questions in each group as related, if not dependent, and allow ourselves the flexibility of discussing them at the right moment, rather than following strictly the work plan as presented.

E.g. if we start talking about Q2, scope and limitations, it's clear that question 10 in ICANN as beneficiary, or 6 on dev countries priority, are going to come up.

I would suggest that we start with the "scope" series of questions first, i.e. where do we want this money to go ? since this will give us a clearer idea of the "legal" choices, i.e. what's the most effective way of doing that.