[Ccwg-auctionproceeds] lotsa money, was Fwd: Board reply to CCWG-AP

Marika Konings marika.konings at icann.org
Tue Sep 5 18:48:59 UTC 2017

Daniel, you may be interested in the following letter that Akram Atallah sent to the RySG (see https://www.icann.org/en/system/files/correspondence/atallah-to-diaz-29aug17-en.pdf<https://www.icann.org/en/system/files/correspondence/atallah-to-diaz-29aug17-en.pdf)>) which includes the following paragraph that may answer your question:

“As you are aware, the 2012 round of the New gTLD Program is still underway, and a portion of the remaining funds are required for the ongoing operation of the program.  As noted in

ICANN’s FY18 Operating Plan and Budget, ICANN expects to have spent approximately $214 million on the Program, including “hard-to-predict” costs incurred in FY18 and in the future. To

date, ICANN has spent Program funds on a range of previously unforeseen expenses including the formation and coordination of the Universal Acceptance Steering Group, Emergency Back

- End Registry Operator Program operations, studies and mitigation plans relating to Name Collision, implementation of the Trademark Clearinghouse, support for the administration of ICANN Accountability Mechanisms, and legal fees and costs relating to the New gTLD Program. The remaining Program funds are intended to cover operating expenses and future

unanticipated costs such as those listed above, which continue to occur on an ongoing basis.

We do not yet know how much of the New gTLD Program remaining funds will be required to address future unanticipated expenses, and by when. As such, at this time, ICANN is not in a

position to commit to the dispensation of any potential remaining funds from the New gTLD Program applications fees.”

Best regards,

Marika

    On 2017-09-05 17:17, Erika Mann wrote:

    > Indeed, we don't even need to discuss this topic further.

    I agree it's out of scope.

    Can we just be pointed to the place where these application fees refund

    discussions are happening  ? (e.g. in another ICANN group). Thanks.

    > Erika

    > On Tue, Sep 5, 2017 at 4:21 PM, Jon Nevett <jon at donuts.email> wrote:

    >> Sean:  No refunds from the auction proceeds were committed to or

    >> anticipated. Not sure where this idea is coming from. Jon

    >> On Sep 5, 2017, at 10:13 AM, Seun Ojedeji <seun.ojedeji at gmail.com>

    >> wrote:

    >> +1 to that Alberto line of reasoning Alberto. Though it will be good

    >> to know if ICANN has indeed legally committed (as per contract) to

    >> provide some refunds from auction proceed.

    >> If that is the case i don't think its something within our scope to

    >> challenge we will just then need to clarify from ICANN how much is

    >> really available and accessible in the auction proceeds account.

    >> Regards

    >> On Tue, Sep 5, 2017 at 2:38 PM, Alberto Soto

    >> <asoto at ibero-americano.org> wrote:

    >> do not know how the signed contract is. I do not know if the return

    >> is

    >> correct. Whoever buys a restaurant and does not get profitability

    >> does so at

    >> their own risk. Who buys a domain and does not obtain profitability,

    >> does so

    >> at their own risk. ICANN should not be the guarantee if no

    >> profitability is

    >> obtained.

    >> Regards

    >> Alberto