[Ccwg-auctionproceeds] Conflict Of Interest, was Fwd: Board reply to CCWG-AP

喬敬 chiao at brandma.co
Thu Sep 7 01:03:41 UTC 2017

I'd suggest in our F2F meeting in Abu Dhabi, besides our original work plan
items, we should list a few topics, as below,  are definitely needed to be
addressed where more Board members could show up.

-- What Board (or any mechanism setup by the CCWG) would do when a CCWG-AP
member applies for funding in the future (i.e. after Board approved
CCWG-AP's recommendation) ? Let's not forget we have a Board member joined
a new gTLD applicant right after the program being approved in 2011.

-- What and how would ICANN legal do if any CCWG-AP member violate COI
principles BEFORE or AFTER the recommendations approved? Let's not forget
we've already have Jonathan (ex co-chair) , and now Marc, made clear
declarations and set great examples for others. Are there still something
missing ?

-- Given strong-er preferences on avoiding COI, how / what the Board would
go with "wild net" recommendation ?

Best regards,

Ching
Interim co-chair, CCWG-AP

On Wed, Sep 6, 2017 at 10:01 PM, Arsène Tungali <arsenebaguma at gmail.com>
wrote:

> I am just joining as a participant, and in my Declaration I noted that I
> simply don't know if one of my
>
> advisees -- typically NGOs and ICT associations -- might not apply for
> future funding. I am also on the IGFSA Executive Committee and I don't know
> if IGFSA might apply for sponsoring funds.
>
> That's exactly the case for me. And i believe that's why the Board
> suggested a best practice: keeping put DoI up to date!
>
> -----------------
> Arsène Tungali,
> about.me/ArseneTungali
> +243 993810967 <+243%20993%20810%20967>
> GPG: 523644A0
> Goma, Democratic Republic of Congo
>
> Sent from my iPhone (excuse typos)
>
> On Sep 5, 2017, at 4:42 PM, Marilyn Cade <marilynscade at hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> Marc, I am not sure you should leave.
>

> I am just joining as a participant, and in my Declaration I noted that I
> simply don't know if one of my
>
> advisees -- typically NGOs and ICT associations -- might not apply for
> future funding. I am also on the IGFSA Executive Committee and I don't know
> if IGFSA might apply for sponsoring funds.
>

> But as long as we all declare our interests, and do it transparent, I
> think that is what is required.
>

> I do think that it is different for those who participated in an auction
> who might lobby to have funding returned to them to offset costs that they
> incurred, which were clearly indicated as not refundable when they
> submitted a gTLD application, or when they decided to participate in an
> auction.
>
> But, even the Board of ICANN has many participants with many conflicts of
> interest. Some are more diligent than others in observing those and always
> acknowledging them, perhaps, than others. :-)
>
> I think that transparency and  honesty is our best policy. But, if we lose
> insights from a diverse part of the ICANN stakeholder community, we will
> become less informed.

Ching Chiao
Founder & CEO
Brandma Internet Group
中域国际集团
www.brandma.com

+886.918.211372 || +86.135.2018.7032 || +1.908.4990050
Beijing . Chengdu . Hangzhou . Hong Kong . Shenzhen. Taipei