[Ccwg-auctionproceeds] Judith Hellerstein's comments on the Auction Proceeds Draft

Sam Lanfranco sam at lanfranco.net
Tue Jul 30 11:05:26 UTC 2019

Thank You Marilyn for your comments. /I will not copy my posting and
your comments, but cut to the chase and focus on three direct issues./

First, to get it out of the way, you ask why I see a (any) portfolio
strategy managing the proceeds as risky. Most economists generally agree
that the flood of cheap money, through Quantitative Easing (QE) by
central banks has fueled the unprecedented rise in asset values since
the 2008 financial disaster, /and -I might add- the unprecedented
concentration of income and wealth/. With essentially negative interest
rates this is an unsustainable situation. When it unravels, quickly or
slowly, there will be a major downward adjustment in asset values,
putting any portfolio strategy at risk, including those containing ICANN
funds. Such is life.

Second, when I look into my economist’s crystal ball, there is a high
probability that the existing auction proceeds were a product of the
times, and unlikely to be followed by substantial new auction revenues.

Third, be that as it may, I would suggest that whatever strategy ICANN
selects, it not place any new auction revenues into the existing pot,
but segregate them for the time being. We should consider setting a
timeline, say after three rounds of grants from the current revenues,
for a review of lessons learned from the process to date, and possibly
initiate a new policy development process so that the auction revenue
policies can be revised in light of lessons learned. This is new
territory for the ICANN community, and that is even more true for the
ICANN staff.

Sam