[Ccwg-auctionproceeds] CCWG Auction Proceeds Consensus Call - Deadline 21 May 2020

Robert Guerra rguerra at privaterra.org
Tue May 26 21:49:58 UTC 2020

Dear Erika,

What the SSAC has said is that it does not object to any of the
recommendations.  This is subtly different to saying that the SSAC
supports the recommendations.

Specifically, the SSAC does not wish to delay the process within the
CCWG further and wishes to see the report finalized and delivered.
Further deliberation within the CCWG is unlikely to be good use of
everyone’s time and energy.  Rather, what the SSAC recommended in its
response was:

“... to have an outside expert with a demonstrated track-record in
designing funding programs review the report, comment on its finding and
recommendations, and use it as a basis to inform the Board on the design
of a grant making process for the auction proceeds that implements grant
making best practices. This step should be undertaken before the Board
formally considers the CCWG’s Final Report as its advice would assist
the Board in its consideration of the CCWG recommendations."

As Emily stated in her email below ”As a reminder to the group,
"consensus" is defined "a position where a small minority disagrees, but
most agree." The Co-Chairs will use this definition as a point of
reference as feedback in received on the list.

In this context, the SSAC’s position may best be seen as neutral
rather than agreeing or disagreeing.  This may well enable the group to
claim consensus (but not full consensus), noting that the SSAC should
not be listed as one of the supporting organizations.

regards,

Robert

--
Robert Guerra