[Comments-africa-regional-plan-fy21-25-15apr20] Business Constituency (BC) comment on ICANN Africa Regional Plan for FY 2021-25

Steve DelBianco sdelbianco at netchoice.org
Tue Jun 2 00:28:31 UTC 2020

Below and attached is the comment of ICANN’s Business Constituency (BC) regarding the ICANN Africa Regional Plan for FY 2021-25.

The BC is pleased to comment on the draft ICANN’s Africa Regional Plan for Fiscal Years 2021-2025.  We thank the team that put the document together. In particular, the BC commends the team for describing achievements during the preceding five year strategic plan and useful lessons learnt that are being factored into the next iteration of the Plan.   However, we are unable to follow the link on the list to lessons learnt because it is broken.

As it has been noted in the draft concerning the disclaimer on the non-capture of the effect of the COVID-19 Pandemic on the document, the BC agrees that now is the time to factor into the Strategic Plan the effect of this major global disaster on the future performance projection of the Fiscal Years 2021-2025 Strategic Plan.

We further comment as follows:

1. On the first paragraph of 1.1.2 viz comparison to a particular region, comparison should be based on an available global standard, so reference to the “West” should be replaced with “…high cost of Internet connectivity and a low level of digital literacy compared to global standard.” (a link here to global standard via ITU or any other statistics would be beneficial)

2. On the second paragraph of 1.1.2:  We recommend the specific inclusion of business in the discussion.  The statement can be updated to read “…Internet stakeholders (in particular business) to address these challenges…” This emphasis places focus on enabling business to invest in the sector.

3. On 3.4 Geopolitics:  We believe the word “not” is missing in the statement “Some African governments still believe that this role should NOT be left to ICANN.”

4. On 3.4.4 Action Steps:  We recommend that the United Nations Economic Commission for Africa (UNECA) should be equally engaged in this regard.

5. On 3.5 Financial: We recommend that collaboration with business entities such as Business Associations and Chambers of Commerce in Africa should be explored. We propose this text: A paradigm shift to engaging Business Associations and Chambers of Commerce in this regard would be explored.

6. On 3.5.2 Regional Goals:  We recommend that the following statement be added: Collaborate with Business Associations and Chambers of Commerce to boost business awareness and investment in the DNS industry.

7. On 3.5.4 Action Steps:  We recommend that the following statement be added: Work with Business Associations, Chambers of Commerce and Angel Investors to boost business awareness and investment in the DNS industry.

--
This comment was drafted by Jimson Olufuye, Roger Baah, and Arinola Akinyemi.
It was approved in accord with our Charter.

Steve DelBianco
Vice Chair for Policy Coordination
ICANN Business Constituency (BC)