[Comments-biz-renewal-03apr19] No for allowing monopoly

Ada Maria Lorenc aml at bettercollective.com
Thu Apr 25 12:48:59 UTC 2019

I respectfully make the following comments.

I am a domain name registrant of +2000 domains. I don't really think it's a
good idea to change the old lasting rules. The domain owners of good .biz
domains and good .org domains will be FORCED to pay for their good domains
due to monopoly which will happen. It's not something we agreed for when we
purchased the domains. We were always protected by ICANN and we would like
it to keep it this way.

ICANN does not seem to recognize the difference between a legacy extension
created with the support of the US government, that predates the existence
of ICANN and that has millions of existing users and the brand new
extensions that started off with a new set of rules, in particular no price
controls, and no existing registrants. They have completely different
characteristics, history, and ownership structure. It is not acceptable for
ICANN to ignore these differences and to propose that they be treated the
same.

Removing price caps is not fair to domain owners. Many of them have
websites that they have used for years. If price caps are removed, the cost
to renew their domain names may become too expensive, and they could be
forced to give up websites that are important to them.

The Uniform Rapid Suspension policy is too new and untested to apply on
domain names that may be 20 years old or more. With the URS, the domain
names could be taken down in a matter of days with little notice.

ICANN should be doing more to protect owners of .org domain names. Why is
ICANN trying to remove price protections for .org domain owners, so many of
which are non-profits, so that they can be overcharged for their domain
names?

--

Best regards / Best regards

Ada Maria Lorenc