[Comments-ccnso-pdp3-retire-cctlds-05may20] ccNSO PDP3: Initial Proposals for Process to Retire ccTLDs

Dr Clement Genty Clement at Genty.info
Thu May 21 11:48:57 UTC 2020

Hi,

The ccTLDs have been modelled on the ISO 3166-1 alpha 2 standard to
avoid, as Postel said, IANA having to choose what a country is or is
not.

ISO is based on purely technical considerations. ICANN is a technical
organization but includes public participation for public input, which I
do. This humanism on the part of ICANN must remain a constant and ICANN
must not act in a dichotomous way. The example of the .SU, which is
still working is a good example of this.

Tuvalu, .TV, ccTLD that has become a gccTLD according to Google, is a
territory that risks disappearing in case of global warming. So
according to the ISO, the TV code will no longer exist.
But should we delete a code of a country and therefore its past, its
history?

A few years ago, I had contacted the ISO to activate the JU code for
Julia Island, a French island located at the south of Sicily. I didn't
get a positive answer as the island Julia was swallowed up by the
waters.

But wasn't there a past on this island? It seems important to me that
ICANN goes beyond purely technical considerations and that it keeps any
ccTLD that has already existed. Otherwise its role would be purely
technical and nothing would prevent it from being included in the ITU.

Regards,
Clement

--
Dr Clement Genty