[Comments-com-amendment-3-03jan20] Don’t approve .com price increases

Geoffrey Lowney tech at galacticbus.com
Sat Feb 8 00:03:39 UTC 2020

I am a registrant of multiple .com domain names used for my personal activities, email, sharing, etc.

I am against the proposed price increases to .COM domains.

Verisign just want increases in .COM prices to go back milking registrants as they did in the early days of the internet. It is very difficult to transition from one domain name to another, including from one TLD to another. This essentially locks registrants into their domain name, and gives Verisign a virtual monopoly.

The current rate of $7.85 is already far more than justified, and higher than the prices for many other TLDs.

Verisign is merely your manager of the .COM Registry – it should not be in the business of dictating the price.

ICANN is supposed to govern the domain name system in the public interest. ICANN could choose to increase prices in small amounts to keep up with inflation, but 7% per year, even for only some years, is unconscionable.
Thank you

Geoffrey Lowney

Sent from my iPhone