Fruition Inc incfruition at gmail.com
Sat Feb 8 01:38:55 UTC 2020

Dear ICANN Members,

     I am very concerned about how increasing the cost to register or renew
a dotcom domain every year will impact small businesses. I'm against an
increase for the following reasons:

           1. An increase every year will negatively impact the profit
margin of small businesses.

            2. The expenses of small businesses will get out of hand as
paying for registration costs in addition to ongoing web development and
maintenance costs along with other business costs skyrocket in time.

            3. Users of the internet will stop using the internet as small
business owners began to struggle with domain payments and have to forego
on keeping the domains.

            4. At some point after the pricing for a dotcom domain get out
of reach, community organizers will use that as a centerpiece for totally
doing away with the internet and focus on going back to grassroots local
businesses.

            5. Increasing costs every year will create an unequal business
environment and peg small business against big pocketed business even more.

     Apparently, the internet has created a huge amount of revenue for some
small businesses. I had started a number of e-commerce websites but none of
them has made me any money. But, when I go into some of the local
businesses like the guy who sells insurance and see how he has prospered
with usage of his insurance website, I know that it can be beneficial to a
small business owner.

     The company VeriSign should not dictate the pricing of a domain.
Clearly, it is in their self-interest to have higher prices. What is the
most important is the best interest of the public. Will the public have
access to content that is provided by individuals in the international
community at an affordable price? The public's interest should take center
stage. The concern for security, and stability are premature as ICANN and
VeriSign should look into ways of cutting costs. Maybe, forego having
expensive conferences.

     But like I said earlier, I haven't made any money with the internet.
So, I presume I comment on behalf of keeping an environment of prosperity
going for those small businesses who are making money because what
bleakness would exist in local communities around the world if some people
weren't making some of the money.

C. Brunson,  Atlanta, GA