[Comments-com-amendment-3-03jan20] Comments on Amendment 3, specifically the Price Increase clause

Paul Kraus paul at kraus-haus.org
Mon Feb 10 01:57:39 UTC 2020

As someone who has been managing servers on the public Internet since 1995, and

as someone who maintains public DNS servers for a variety of domains, and

as someone who understands the costs associated maintaining TLD and root DNS servers, and

as someone who remembers the cost of .COM domain registration in 1995 ($35/year/domain),

I do not question the need for price adjustments over time. I question the 7% value. There is no indication as to how that value was decided upon. I would like to see justification for that amount. The amount _may_ be justified, but there is insufficient information available to draw that conclusion.

Having seen very large and rapid increases in registration cost for other TLDs ( .HOSTING and .HAUS specifically ), I think it is critically important that one of the earliest TLDs ( .COM ) not suffer such rapid cost increases, so I am in favor of a relatively small year to year increase rate consistent with coverage of operating costs.

I have seen other comments about keeping domain registration costs reasonable for individuals, that is part of what the large expansion of TLDs was supposed to accomplish. Looking at my registrar, I see plenty of options for TLDs that renew for under US$20, which seems reasonable to me for an individual.

Thank you for considering my comments.