Netinstinct Domain Mgmt domainmgr at netinstinct.com
Mon Feb 10 17:30:21 UTC 2020

To Whom it may concern:

I am a registrant of a .com domain name and I help many of my clients
maintain their business domains. The cost of management is not justified in
the eyes of the customer when the infrastructure is already in place and
only management of the systems is required. This only appears to be a profit
move for the interested parties and not a benefit to the internet industry
as a whole.

I am against the proposed price increase to .COM domains. When domain
managers and resellers barely make a dollar or two on domain renewals, it is
inappropriate that the supplier is entitled to shorten that margin without
affecting themselves at the same time.

No one other than Verisign want increases in .COM prices.

The current rate of $7.85 is already far more than justified. Then when
purchased through a domain registrar, it is more than that value and with so
much competition out there, it is hard to manage a margin on domain renewals
like we could in the past. When things just started out, it was pretty much
an industry standard that retail pricing could be between $50-$100 for
domain registrations AND renewals. Then for a time period it has had to drop
to $30-$50 and now you are lucky if you find someone charging more than $20
for a domain renewal and most offer it at just about cost.  For some of us,
this is meant to help with cash flow for a couple dollars in margin, with
the increase, which comes completely unjustified towards operating costs,
when the governing body was meant to be non-profit.

Verisign is merely your manager of the .COM Registry - it has no business
dictating the price. By no means should there be what appears to be a
monopoly on .com registration direction on pricing.

ICANN is supposed to govern the domain name system in the public interest.
Without question. The integrity of the governing body should be
unimpeachable.

Adam Kulchyski
Oakville, Ontario Canada