Anne Baanen vierkantor at vierkantor.com
Mon Feb 10 21:49:28 UTC 2020

As owner of several domain names, I strongly oppose the proposed
amendments. ICANN has repeatedly implied that new TLDs allow for
deregulation of the domain registration system, since customers are
supposed to move to a new operator if they don't like the policies (e.g.
pricing) of their current TLD operator. This argument does not hold
water, even granting the assumption that the free market behaves
according to the public interest, since the market in question certainly
is not free. The simple fact is that one cannot change a domain name:
one can only delete their old domain name and start at zero from a new
one. This implies that the market is not free at all: each TLD operator
is a monopolist in their own namespaces. Deregulation of this non-free
market cannot be in the public interest, so I urge the ICANN to
reconsider their current destructive course of action.