[Comments-com-amendment-3-03jan20] Don't let corporations ruin ICANN

Jesse Salens outlook_84FF3320A90835D3 at outlook.com
Tue Feb 11 01:25:46 UTC 2020

I am writing to voice disagreement with your recent decision to allow Verisign to increase pricing in exchange for them “donating” money to ICANN. While I support ICANN’s attempt to improve the system overall, this boils down to a bribe in exchange for making an incredible amount of money by jacking the prices up beyond the reach of the every day person. I remember when .COM domains were $70 a year and this made it unreasonable at that time to purchase a domain for my own personal and business uses.

I also object to allowing Verisign to become a registrar. This operation blends the lines too much between operator and seller. The system we have now works and prevents anyone from becoming too powerful again.

I also commented on your attempts to lift price controls on .ORG, .INFO and .BIZ and hope that this time you won’t just be wiping out my comment. I support price controls for domains to make the internet a fair and level playing field for starting a business or even just running a personal website. Don’t allow corporate interests drive us back to an unaffordable state.

Regards,
Jesse J. Salens
C: (313) 218-0351
E: jesse at salens.org<mailto:jesse at salens.org>