[Comments-com-amendment-3-03jan20] In Opposition to the Proposed Price Increases Outlined in Amendment 3 to the .COM Registry Agreement

Eric Woodward eric at itsericwoodward.com
Tue Feb 11 01:32:21 UTC 2020

I am a registrant of multiple domain names (including several .COMs), and I am writing to voice my strong opposition to the proposed price increases for .COM domains as outlined in Amendment 3.

No case is made in the Amendment for why the price increase is justified (beyond noting that there hasn't been one since 2012). However, given that over 144 million .COM domains were registered just last quarter (https://blog.verisign.com/domain-names/verisign-q3-2019-domain-name-industry-brief-internet-grows-to-359-8-million-domain-name-registrations-in-the-third-quarter-of-2019/), coupled with the ever-decreasing costs of hardware and storage, I believe that the current rate of $7.85 / year / domain is already far more than should be necessary. If Verisign feels that they can't afford to manage said registry at the current price, then I would suggest that they be replaced with a company or organization that can.

ICANN is supposed to govern the domain name system in the interest of the public, not Verisign.

Thank you for your time.

- Eric Woodward