Vipul Seth vipul at thegourmetkitchen.biz
Tue Feb 11 01:43:14 UTC 2020

I strongly oppose Proposed Amendment 3 to the .COM Registry Agreement.

These are my concerns with this new agreement:
1. Verisign will be allowed to increase the wholesale price to registrars for .COM domains every year for 8 out of the next 10 years which means that .COM wholesale domain prices can grow by more than 70% over and above current prices over the next decade
2. This agreement also allows for other price increases, which could drive prices up further, making .COM domains out of reach of general public
3. As I understand, this agreement is to generate a whopping $20 million dollars over five years to support ICANN's domain name system initiatives. But there is no clarity about how ICANN will spend the money, or who will ensure that the funds are properly spent on domain infrastructure
4. I am very concerned that given the significant impact of these price increases on the Internet for years to come, only ICANN and Verisign have participated in this decision

Thanks,
Vipul Seth