[Comments-com-amendment-3-03jan20] Proposed changes in COM fee structure

Robert Langer rdlanger at gmail.com
Tue Feb 11 02:03:41 UTC 2020

As a long time owner of a modest number of COM domains, I wish to voice my
outrage at the deal struck behind closed doors that would allow Versign to
unilaterally raise fees for COM domains.

COM domains are essentially a public utility and secret deals violate an
implied public trust. Moreover, the opportunity for profit by capricious
price increases over customers held hostage due to established business is
grossly unfair.

Would it be ok for a city government to allow a commercial vendor a
monopoly on managing the physical locations for customers to shop, and for
businesses to receive mail, and then to give that monopoly vendor the right
to escalate fees by more than 70% in 10 years?

I strongly urge reconsideration and renegotiation of this deal.

Robert Langer