[Comments-com-amendment-3-03jan20] Uncompetitive practices are not in the interest of the public

damon.couper at gmail.com damon.couper at gmail.com
Tue Feb 11 02:29:55 UTC 2020

Hello,

I am writing to express my dismay with the price increases being proposed
under the new contractual arrangement with Verisign. ICANN is a
not-for-profit entity setup with the view to acting in the public interest.
I fail to see how the public interest includes increasing the fees being
charged so that Verisign can increase its prices many fold more than the
additional licensing fees they will be paying to ICANN. Have ICANN included
additional measures to ensure a competitive tension is maintained within the
current arrangements? The absence of these pressures will lead to gouging by
suppliers and increase the spectre of impropriety.

Regards,

Damon.