[Comments-com-amendment-3-03jan20] (no subject)

Alexander Roederer alex.roederer at gmail.com
Tue Feb 11 03:04:12 UTC 2020

To whom it may concern:

I have registered several .com domain names, and I am against the proposed
price increase to .COM domains.

The proposed dramatic price increases will significantly negatively impact
small business owners; large corporations, of course, will not mind the
change.

I am against Verisign's involvement in paying ICANN significant sums of
money without any clarity as to how ICANN can use the money. I am against
Verisign being given the ability to increase the wholesale prices of .COM
domains to registrars every year for the next 8 out of 10 years, without
any clarity as to what conditions it is right or proper for them to do so.

Verisign has also not made a convincing case as to why increasing prices
for domain management, given that management costs (absent of actual
hosting etc) should only be administrative, should scale roughly linearly
with the number of domains registered, and does not require significant
innovation; if anything, as the internet matures, these prices should be
_going down._

Increases to prices will only make domain name squatting, a poisonous trade
that stifles internet innovation, an even more lucrative market.

Additionally, I am against ICANN making these kind of changes in secret,
without consulting feedback from the internet. The internet as it exists
today is primarily the result of group action and good-faith
consensus building; ICANN's actions in this space recently have eroded the
trust that make the internet function. ICANN has been granted the broad
powers it has with the understanding that it will operate in the public
interest; but recent ICANN behaviors seem a lot like capture by large,
wealthy, incumbent corporations and groups.

Take note: behavior like this price change, were it to go through, will
have me writing letters to my Federal representatives about ICANN's
suitability in being trusted to manage the DNS.

Regards,
Alexander Roederer
Cambridge
Massachusetts