[Comments-com-amendment-3-03jan20] Contract

James Keller jamesc.keller at gmail.com
Tue Feb 11 03:45:08 UTC 2020

ICANN's primary principles of operation have been described as helping
preserve the operational stability of the Internet; to promote competition;
to achieve broad representation of the global Internet community; and to
develop policies appropriate to its mission through bottom-up,
consensus-based processes.

https://www.icann.org/en/about/agreements/mou-jpa/icann-mou-25nov98-en.htm

To whom it may concern;
   I received an email from my registrar Namechaep.com in regard to the
Verisign contract and I would like to say that I do not agree with it. From
my research it seems that my voice will not be heard anyway by ICANN, but
still felt it was important to state my views.
  It states on Wikipedia that ICANN “It is a nonprofit public benefit
corporation organized under the California Nonprofit Public Benefit
Corporation Law for charitable and public purposes." It does not appear
that the contract between ICANN and Verisign.inc is for the “Public
Benefit”.  Increased prices will eventually paid by that very Public that
you represent.
   It also states, “ICANN's primary principles of operation have been
described as helping preserve the operational stability of the Internet; to
promote competition; to achieve broad representation of the global Internet
community; and to develop policies appropriate to its mission through
bottom-up, consensus-based processes.” This contract also does not appear
to fit ICANN’s own Philosophy. I don’t believe it will “promote
competition” it seems it will put the control of the most widely used TLD
.com in the hands of Verisign.inc. As far as a “bottom-up consensus-based
processes” I read through many of the already posted comments and did not
read one that was for the contract, which to me would mean that the
contract would not go through.
  I can only hope that ICANN can uphold its Motto of “One World. One
Internet” and do what’s best for the people that they represent rather than
make decisions for the profit and interest of few.
  Sincerely,
  James Keller