[Comments-com-amendment-3-03jan20] Proposed .COM Price Increases

Debi Lee DebiLee01 at hotmail.com
Tue Feb 11 06:46:41 UTC 2020

I want to take the opportunity to submit a comment opposing this plan. And at least make 3 brief points.

First, I think it’s unacceptable that these decisions were made in such a unilateral fashion and in secret on top of that.

Second, it is inappropriate for Verisign to be allowed to function as a registrar. It’s a blatant conflict of interest.

Last but not least, there will be many far-reaching effects that I implore you to consider. Accessibility is one. Use of the internet and ownership/use of domains should remain accessible for all. Instituting unlimited (even if over a long term) price increases will make it accessible to less people over time.

Additionally, though I’m not sure of numbers, it’s logical to me that millions of .COM domains are owned by entrepreneurs and small businesses. It’s pretty much a necessity nowadays to have an online presence in order to succeed in business. So there will be economic consequences to your decisions as well.

And you may want to consider the possibility that you’ll make less money overall because people, like myself, who own many domains will be less likely to do so when faced with consistently increasing prices.

Thank you for accepting my comment.

Debi Auger