[Comments-com-amendment-3-03jan20] Against Amendment 3

Aaron Eckert aaron at kayak.com
Tue Feb 11 08:42:06 UTC 2020

It is abundantly clear that ICANN will ignore this message, since it has shown it does not care what anyone thinks anymore; nonetheless, I wish to lodge my personal complaint against Amendment 3.

In addition to transparently funneling money from domain holders into the pockets of ICANN board members, Amendment 3 largely consolidates domain registry under a single entity, Verisign, who is then free to engage in monopolistic behavior. There is absolutely nothing about this amendment that benefits the internet community at large.

ICANN was founded in 1998 to promote internet stability, market competition, broad representation, and consensus. In the last year, ICANN has proven that these are no longer the principles by which it is guided. Greed, consolidation of power, and cash grabs are now all we can expect from this failed organization.

Aaron Eckert