[Comments-com-amendment-3-03jan20] Opposition to Amendment 3

matt at bluecollamusic.com matt at bluecollamusic.com
Tue Feb 11 08:52:19 UTC 2020

Dear ICANN

I am a registrant of .com domains and I am writing to voice my opposition to
Proposed Amendment 3.

The web, and global DNS, were envisioned to be run for the public good, and
they SHOULD be run for the public good. I quote for the ICANN website:
'Policy to ensure that the deliberations and decisions of ICANN are made in
the interest of the global Internet community.'

The proposed arrangement between ICANN and Verisign is an abdication of
ICANN's mandate. ICANN is responsible for governing the domain name system
in the public interest. Verisign is merely your appointed manager of the
.COM Registry.

By allowing Versign to dictate pricing for .com domains with an agreed price
increase every year for the next 8 out of 10 years, ICANN is effectively
selling off its responsibilities to Verisign. In return, Versign will be
paying ICANN $20m over that period with no clear mandate as to how these
funds will be invested for the great good of the DNS system or the Internet
as a whole.

No matter how this amendment is worded or marketed, it is a poorly, ill
devised scheme that has no clear benefits for the global DNS system.

I trust ICANN will listen to its community and scrap the Proposed Amendment
3.

Best regards
Mathew Jacobs
London, UK