[Comments-com-amendment-3-03jan20] STOP .COM Price Increases

Eoin O'Leary eoin at focusbusinesscoaching.com
Tue Feb 11 08:45:17 UTC 2020

Dear Sir or Madam,

I have been in business since the Internet started to be used by business.

I started back in 1994, teaching people how to use email, then I build web
pages for them using nothing but HTML code, so I have seen everything from
a business point of view.

The cost of a domain name has never been a major factor, but it is a
factor, as we have to explain that it has to be paid every year.
Given the changes online, starting in 2018, it is becoming more & more
obvious that a business no longer needs a domain name.

Now, having a Facebook Page, Instagram Account, LinkedIn Account is more
important than having a website, as being where your target market is, is
far more lucrative.

A 2017 CNBC survey found that 45% of small businesses in the USA have no
website, so if  I have to go to a business to get them online and I say
that your domain name costs us$20 now but I don't know what it will cost
next year, or the year after, they will second guess the decision.
Existing .com owners will be thing the same, why bother with a .com?

The generations growing up now are already expecting to see a business on
Facebook, Instagram & LinkedIn, a website is a second thought when they are
shopping.

Does ICANN want to go down in history as the ones that killed the .com?

Eoin O'Leary
FocusBusienssCoaching.com