[Comments-com-amendment-3-03jan20] Public Comment regarding .COM price increases

Jason Fisher jfish101 at gmail.com
Tue Feb 11 11:40:01 UTC 2020

To Whom it May Concern,

I am very concerned about the news that ICANN is considering approval to raise the cost of annual .COM domain registrations. Many small businesses like mine rely on our website to serve as our primary means of advertising and marketing. The Internet is vast and can be confusing. Just like a phone number or street address, a web domain is an essential way for new and existing customers to find a business, and for that business to demonstrate stability. But for many small companies like myself we cannot afford high costs to maintain a website. If costs to keep my .COM domain name were raised significantly, I would not be able to afford it. This would be very detrimental to my business not only because I would lose my website address but also because I would lose my email addresses. This would be very disruptive and extremely unfair to small businesses like mine.

While I acknowledge that there are many huge companies that could likely easily afford cost increases to maintaining their .COM domain names I appeal to ICANN to not approve any significant increases in cost that would impact the enormous number of small business like mine out there that rely on their stable web presence. At a minimum, any increases should be based on company revenue or web traffic etc. It would run counter to ICANN’s original mission if you were to restrict access to these domains only to those who could afford large payments.

Thank you,

Jason Fisher
Solar Technical Consulting LLC
Charlottesville Virginia, USA