[Comments-com-amendment-3-03jan20] comments

Robert Burns rburns.mail at gmail.com
Tue Feb 11 12:37:22 UTC 2020

If the information I have received is accurate, ICANN and Verisign have agreed to significant changes to the contract that governs your relationship, changes which will have dramatic consequences for internet users by allowing Verisign to increase the wholesale price to registrars for .COM domains every year for 8 out of the next 10 years.

ICANN made these changes in secret, without consulting or incorporating feedback from the ICANN community or Internet users. Although ICANN has a history of making similar deals behind closed doors, and also of ignoring unified opposition against such action, I nevertheless hereby register my objection to your deal.

Verisign agreeing to pay ICANN an additional $20 million dollars over five years to support ICANN's domain name system initiatives (with no clarity about how ICANN will spend the money or who will ensure that the funds are properly spent on domain infrastructure) is no justification for the important effect you are forcing on internet users.

Sincerely,

Robert Burns