[Comments-com-amendment-3-03jan20] Proposed Amendment 3

mechanique at wmol.com mechanique at wmol.com
Tue Feb 11 12:55:19 UTC 2020

I wish to state my absolute opposition to Proposed Amendment 3 and to any
agreement that allows an increase in registration fees of any top level
domain that exceeds inflation.

According to the Memorandum of Understanding, mid 1998, between the U.S.
Department of Commerce and ICANN, ICANN was to be a non-profit entity with a
primary focus to maintain the DNS system in the public's best interest and
"promote ... development ... of mechanisms to solicit public input..." I am
having difficulty understanding how the deal quietly negotiated between
ICANN and Verisign, which allows .com registration costs to increase 70% in
the next ten years, is consistent with this mandate? Or how the exchange of
$20 million from an entity with such a vested interest to that with
oversight of that interest avoids a strong taint of impropriety.

Chuck Gustafson