[Comments-com-amendment-3-03jan20] Proposed Amendment 3 to the .COM Registry Agreement

Lucy Unger thecoloryes at gmail.com
Tue Feb 11 13:43:12 UTC 2020

Hello,

It was recently brought to my attention that Amendment 3 is being proposed.
On a close reading of this amendment, I am truly alarmed. While I
understand that ICANN and VeriSign are coming together expressly to address
security threats and the resiliency of DNS, none of the information
provided to the public has reassured me that ICANN will appropriately spend
the $4,000,000 annual payments from VeriSign. Furthermore, the allowances
for price increases for .COM Registry Services set a dangerous precedent.
While it is true that the price increase is capped annually, the maximum
"cap" for the period covered by this amendment -- that is to say, while
ICANN is still receiving its payments from VeriSign -- is a whopping 30%.
As an independent artist who uses a custom domain to manage my brand, a 30%
increase in costs across the board would put me out of business.
Additionally, since this amendment explicitly *allows* a price increase
past the stated $10.26 "cap" as early as 2027, which conveniently coincides
with the end of ICANN's receiving payments from VeriSign, I am extremely
worried about the effect this price increase will have on small business
owners such as myself who rely on .COM Registry Services as a core part of
our marketing. As such, I strongly reject the amendment as proposed, which
includes no protections for consumers such as myself and clearly targets
the support large corporations for whom the $2.41 difference in the cost of
.COM Registry Services is negligible.

Thank you,
Lucia Unger