[Comments-com-amendment-3-03jan20] COM Price Increases

mtja at hush.com mtja at hush.com
Tue Feb 11 14:14:09 UTC 2020

I want to protest at the behavior of ICANN in setting up .COM domains
for extensive price hikes for the foreseeable future.

The fact that this was done in secret indicates that you were well
aware of the protests it would elicit, and for good reason.

You have a monopoly on .COM domains, similarly to your appalling
behavior with .ORG domains being sold off to ex-employees to exploit
as they wish (made worse by the fact that .ORG is usually owned by
charitable or political organizations), there is no other provider for
them which would lead users to expect a level of responsibility to
your clients that goes well beyond allowing projected price rices to
registrars for .COM domains of 7% each year in 2020, 2021, 2022, and
2023.

Strong price capping is vital to maintaining equatable access,
preventing runaway trading and sharp practice and keeping prices
affordable for the vast number of users who are already opted into
using a .COM domain WITH THE UNDERSTANDING that they had always been
carefully capped and responsibly managed for the good of internet
users and website owners, not given free reign to keep increasing
prices willy-nilly to bleed users for more and more money year after
year.

In my view ICANN has made itself appear like a fly-by-night, cheap and
untrustworthy domain trader with these moves, done undercover and
designed to increases prices to users over and over and over in
subsequent years, not the responsible guardian of the most well-known
domain name in the world. My confidence and trust in ICANN is rapidly
decreasing and if these outrageous changes go ahead I will certainly
decrease the number .COMs I own and will eventually turn to using
alternative domains.

Mark