[Comments-com-amendment-3-03jan20] No Oversight - Who Has Our Backs?

Rich A richlinku at gmail.com
Tue Feb 11 15:04:21 UTC 2020

ICANN executives should be ashamed of themselves.  The Robber barons of the
late 19th century are back in a different form, sneaking money from our
pockets over time.  There is a wrong way and a right way to do things.
Organizations must be open to scrutiny, especially when they control how
and where we conduct commerce.  This form of highway robbery must not be
allowed.  Small unwarranted "toll" increases add up over time.

*The term robber baron derives from the Raubritter (robber knights), the
medieval German lords who charged nominally illegal tolls (unauthorized by
the Holy Roman Emperor) on the primitive roads crossing their lands[1] or
larger tolls along the Rhine river.*

*The metaphor appeared as early as February 9, 1859, when The New York
Times used it to characterize the business practices of Cornelius
Vanderbilt. Historian T.J. Stiles says the metaphor "conjures up visions of
titanic monopolists who crushed competitors, rigged markets, and corrupted
government. In their greed and power, legend has it, they held sway over a
helpless democracy."[2]*

                  Wikipedia 2020,
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robber_baron_(industrialist)

--