[Comments-com-amendment-3-03jan20] Regarding .COM TLD changes

Drew Pendergrass drew at drewpendergrass.com
Mon Feb 10 22:14:58 UTC 2020

Dear sir or madam,

My name is Drew Pendergrass, and like many owners of a .COM domain name
I am alarmed by the betrayal to the fundamental values of the internet
that ICANN is considering. The web was designed to allow people around
the world to share knowledge and communicate better with one another --
a fundamentally democratic dream, created by idealists in a physics
laboratory. That dream has never been fully realized, and, with the
centralization of the internet, the original vision of a dispersed free
web may be falling away. You are adding fuel to the fire. Corporations
won't mind a price increase, but individuals and artists and academics
and the weirdos who make the internet great will be stifled, pushed off
of their sites and into boring conformity. There is no changing that the
.COM TLD is the lingua franca of the internet. It isn't for companies,
anymore; it is for everyone. This proposed change adds absolutely no
value to the web or its ability to foster communication. It is a vile
form of rent-seeking, growing fat off of increased rates. Verisign
provides nothing in exchange. This proposal is shameful, and if I had my
way every official at ICANN who participated in this scheme would be
removed. Perhaps people who actually care about the web could replace
them, not thieves like yourselves.

All best,

Drew Pendergrass