[Comments-com-amendment-3-03jan20] PLEASE STOP THE INCREASE in PRICE of .COM domains

Cecil D'Souza ceecil at hotmail.com
Mon Feb 10 22:30:38 UTC 2020

I am a .com registrant and am associated with the secondary market.

I am against the proposed price increase to .COM domains.

No one other than Verisign wants increases in .COM prices.

The current rate of $7.85 is already far more than justified.

Several of us have multiple domain names, if for no other reason than to protect our own names
from being used to run a website.  I personally have about 6 that I use to
protect myself and my family while also allowing my children to be able to
have a domain name that is exclusively theirs.

20 year Cost analysis:
$  7.85 / year 2018
$10.29 / year 2023 (31% increase over 2018)
$13.49 / year 2029 (72% increase over 2018)
$17.68 / year 2035 (125% increase over 2018)
$23.17 / year 2041 (195% increase over 2018)

Verisign is merely your manager of the .COM Registry - it has no business dictating the price - and already makes profits at current price levels in excess of the operating needs to maintain a registry.

ICANN is supposed to govern the domain name system in the public interest.
The public has a vested interest in reasonably priced domain registrations to foster innovation on the internet and allow the individuals to maintain a presence on the web.

Cecil D'Souza
Cary, NC