Joe jmails2013 at gmail.com
Mon Feb 10 22:50:26 UTC 2020

I am writing to comment about the Proposed Amendment 3 to the .COM Registry
Agreement, as my domain provider (NameCheap.com) gave me notice of the
upcoming possible changes.

I believe it is outrageous and not appropriate for an organization to
require and probably charge increases (according to my provider -
NameCheap.com) of up to 70% and over the next decade.  Why?  Because the
current system is basically a one entity monopoly and for various reasons I
understand, am fine with that.

HOWEVER, for ICCAN to request large amounts of money ($20MM) without a
formulated budget and projection for what and where this money is spent to
ensure a sufficient and profitable business for ICCAN is unacceptable.  I
understand that ICANN needs money to operate, needs money to grow, needs
money for software or hardware changes, and am fine with it all.  But to ask
for this type of increase WITHOUT stating or showing where, how and why this
money is needed or planned to be used is unacceptable.

ICCAN should be run like a business not a quasi-governmental operation where
it can spend money like a drunken sailor and not be accountable to at LEAST
a justifiable review process.

This is why I object to this proposed amendment as it stands.  Modify it for
a budget / review / projection of needs process (by an INDEPENDENT review
body) and I am totally fine with whatever money ICCAN will need to continue
to deliver their business proposition with excellence.  Thank you.

Joe K