[Comments-com-amendment-3-03jan20] Comments on Proposed Amendment 3 to the .COM Registry Agreement

Joe Abbate jma at freedomcircle.com
Mon Feb 10 22:54:29 UTC 2020

On what basis are the proposed price increases to be allowed?  Do the
.COM domains incur higher administrative costs?  Will Verisign provide
better service to domain registrars?  Based on recent consumer price
inflation of about 2% per year, a 7% yearly increase in wholesale domain
prices can only be seen as a means to extract more revenue from the
ultimate domain consumers, i.e., the website owners, without adding
*any* value for registrars or domain owners, but simply to add 7% per
year to Verisign's bottom line.

I understand that, under the proposal, the new  contract between ICANN
and Verisign will entail the former will receive an extra $20 million
over five years from the latter.  This sounds as scandalous as a utility
regulator receving a bribe from a utility company in order to induce the
regulator to approve a rate increase.

I oppose the proposed amendment.  I also wonder why is Verisign allowed
to act as a .COM wholesale domain provider, while still acting as a
domain registrar.  It is analogous to the FCC granting special
privileges to some company to act as wholesale radio-TV or other
spectrum "provider", while still being allowed to compete with the other
companies not granted that privilege, i.e., on an unequal basis.

Sincerely,

Joe Abbate
FreedomCircle.com webmaster