don at ethos.nz don at ethos.nz
Mon Feb 10 23:52:13 UTC 2020

Dear ICANN,

I am informed that you are doing a deal with Verisign allowing a succession
of annual registration price increases in exchange for a 20 million funds
injection.

This deal will also allow Verisign to compete as a public domain registrar.

Naturally, as a registrant I opposed unreasonable price increases.

It is reported that this agreement could double the cost of domain
registration over the next 10 years.

I understand there are around 100 million registered .COM domains.

The current ICANN levy is about 18 cents. If ICANN needs to increase funding
why wouldn't you increase the levy by 5 cents.

That will increase your annual income by more than 5 million.

The cost to Verisign of running the .COM registry bears little relation to
the number of domains registered.
If anything domain registration costs should be reducing as scale amortizes
fixed costs.

Why would ICANN be taking money from Verisign in exchange for ratifying an
agreement to let Verisign expand and profiteer?

Are there conflicts of interest? Do ICANN Board Members, or associates, hold
stock or options in Verisign?

Please DO NOT SELL OUT the public of the world to greedy corporate
interests.

I would be interested to look more deeply into the ICANN board challenges
and considerations.

Could you please send me links to Board and Committee minutes where the
Verisign agreement is discussed.

Could you please send me costings and projections that have been formulated
relating to this proposed agreement.

Thank you for your work,

Kind regards,

Don Anderson